none
Serverless High Availability RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

have a general question about serverless architectures in Azure and how they can be made available in the case of a region outage. Customer has a web app that is built on Azure SQL and serverless code (functions, web apps, APIs, etc.). I understand the process for making SQL available across regions, but would like some high level info on how the web app portion can work if the SQL database fails over to another region. When the code is deployed, I assume it gets "deployed" to a region? What would be the options for making that code work in another region if the primary went out for some reason? I have seen some references to using the Azure API Management Gateway, but not sure if that is it.

Thanks for your input.

Thursday, October 18, 2018 11:46 AM

Answers

• They would have to be deployed in multiple regions and traffic would have to be routed to that other region should the primary fail, maybe using something like Traffic Manager / Azure Front Door Service.
    • Proposed as answer by ghostinthewires Thursday, October 18, 2018 12:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vegas577 Thursday, October 18, 2018 2:13 PM
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 12:24 PM

All replies

• They would have to be deployed in multiple regions and traffic would have to be routed to that other region should the primary fail, maybe using something like Traffic Manager / Azure Front Door Service.
    • Proposed as answer by ghostinthewires Thursday, October 18, 2018 12:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vegas577 Thursday, October 18, 2018 2:13 PM
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 12:24 PM
  • ok. That's the key I was looking for. So, the serverless functions, etc. would have to be deployed to multiple regions. I assume there is an additional cost for that though?
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 12:37 PM
  • Yes, exactly. You would have to pay for the services in both regions unfortunately.

Hope this answers your question, if so please mark as answered.

Thanks

Thursday, October 18, 2018 1:58 PM