none
Biztalk 2013 r2 CU2 intstallation rollback RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Experts,

I installed the BizTalk 2013 r2 CU2 in to our BizTalk server and tested few things. Now I am having a little concern in how to rollback the installation we did.Is there any step we need to follow. When I googled it was said to unistall in the Add/Remove programs in the Control panel. I am not sure which is the program that needs to be uninstalled. Can anyone please help me with this.

Thanks

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 7:30 PM

Answers

• Hi vdha,

Thank you for posting on MSDN forum.

Go to left panel of Control Panel and click "View installed updates" link in Add/Remove programs. It reveals the updates and BizTalk Cumulative Updates installed on your system.

Uninstall and rollback

A BizTalk hotfix may update .dll files, and it may execute SQL scripts. If the hotfix contains only .dll files, and if it does not include an SQL script (.sql), it can be rolled back by using the uninstall command in Add or Remove Programs.  You can review the Setup.xml file to determine which files will be updated.

If the hotfix contains an SQL script (.sql), it will execute the SQL script against a BizTalk database or databases. In this case, the hotfix cannot be rolled back by uninstalling. If you uninstall by using Add or Remove Programs, this will not roll back the database changes, and it may leave the BizTalk environment in an inconsistent state.

Refer: Information about BizTalk hotfixes and Cumulative Update support

Thanks,

If my reply is helpful please mark as Answer or vote as Helpful.

My blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Friday, March 25, 2016 2:52 AM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2016 8:00 PM

All replies

• Hi vdha,

Thank you for posting on MSDN forum.

Go to left panel of Control Panel and click "View installed updates" link in Add/Remove programs. It reveals the updates and BizTalk Cumulative Updates installed on your system.

Uninstall and rollback

A BizTalk hotfix may update .dll files, and it may execute SQL scripts. If the hotfix contains only .dll files, and if it does not include an SQL script (.sql), it can be rolled back by using the uninstall command in Add or Remove Programs.  You can review the Setup.xml file to determine which files will be updated.

If the hotfix contains an SQL script (.sql), it will execute the SQL script against a BizTalk database or databases. In this case, the hotfix cannot be rolled back by uninstalling. If you uninstall by using Add or Remove Programs, this will not roll back the database changes, and it may leave the BizTalk environment in an inconsistent state.

Refer: Information about BizTalk hotfixes and Cumulative Update support

Thanks,

If my reply is helpful please mark as Answer or vote as Helpful.

My blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Friday, March 25, 2016 2:52 AM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2016 8:00 PM
  • Hi Vdha,

When you work with updates in main servers you should be more cautious.

Please go through the below article.

MSDN: Best Practices for Applying Service Packs, Hotfixes and Security Patches

To Uninstall CU, for more information.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2003907

Thanks, SMSVikasK

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 2:05 AM
    Answerer
  • Hold On!

Why do you want rollback the Cumulative update? Is something failing? Do you have the back up of all the BizTalk Server databases?

BizTalk Server 2013R2 Cumulative Update 2 contains SQL scripts for BTS_Tracking_Editor and Logshipping which would be executed on your SQL server database.

If that is Production Environment, you should refrain yourself from doing it. Uninstalling the cumulaitve update will not roll back the database changes, and it may leave the BizTalk environment in an inconsistent state.

If you still wish to rollback, first try this in Test Environment. It can be rolled back by using the uninstall command in Add or Remove Programs.

Goto-> Control Panel -> Program and Features -> Installed Updates

Rachit Sikroria (Microsoft Azure MVP)

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 3:53 AM
  • Hi Vdha,

Why do you want to uninstall the update. Do u see any issues. ?

We have CU2 running for quite some time and we have not seen any issues yet.

Regards <br/> When you see answers and helpful posts,<br/> please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 8:53 AM
    Answerer