Display not allowing highest possible resolution

Question

• I'm running on an HP tx2 tablet which has an ATI Radeon 32 HD display adaptor which normally supports resolutions up to 1400x900 (or something close to that).  Under Win 8, the driver appears to be an "Engineering Sample" which supports only 1280x800, which is not as good and, of course, doesn't allow the tailored apps to split the screen.

I tried installing the Win 7 driver manually, and the installer claims that it has worked, but the driver isn't updated and I still cannot see the higher resolutions.

Does anyone know the best way to get around this?  Many thanks for the help!

-- Perry
    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:40 PM

Answers

• You can try the Compatibility troubleshooter to install the drivers and see if that helps.

Since the manufacturers have not created drivers for Windows Developers Preview, I suggest you update to the most current Windows 7 driver.
    If that doesn't work, they try to install in compatibility mode.

For the driver/drivers you downloaded use the compatibility troubleshooter to install them to see if that resolves the problem.
    You can do this by:

·         Enter the Start screen

·         Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section

·         Select Search

·         Type Compatibility

·         Click Settings in the right column

·         Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

·         Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Friday, September 23, 2011 2:23 AM

All replies

• PerryReed, in my experience it is unpredictable what Windows 7 drivers will do with Windows Developer Preview.  I have had some work without any issue and some that just did not want to act right.  Best advice I can give is to try different drivers to see if you can find one that will work better for you.  If you do find one be sure to post it here so others with the same hardware can benefit from your find.

Greg - Microsoft Support Engineer
    Friday, September 16, 2011 8:31 PM
  • You can try the Compatibility troubleshooter to install the drivers and see if that helps.

Since the manufacturers have not created drivers for Windows Developers Preview, I suggest you update to the most current Windows 7 driver.
    If that doesn't work, they try to install in compatibility mode.

For the driver/drivers you downloaded use the compatibility troubleshooter to install them to see if that resolves the problem.
    You can do this by:

·         Enter the Start screen

·         Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section

·         Select Search

·         Type Compatibility

·         Click Settings in the right column

·         Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

·         Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Friday, September 23, 2011 2:23 AM