none
Lightswitch Azure publishing, what a pain RRS feed

• Question

• Publishing to Azure is such a PITA. I've run into the below problem again, originally posted in an Azure forum: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsazurewebsitespreview/thread/79571e4e-4276-452b-88a4-545a8a2944dc/

Any suggestions? Is there a way to get around the supposedly simple, yet exceedinly buggy Azure publishing facility? Would it be possible to publish to my local hard drive then simply use FTP or Webmatrix to deploy the files to the Azure site and manually configure connection in web.config for database connections? Is there any guidance, anywhere on doing something like this?

Here's the previous post:

Error: Web deployment task failed ... could not authorize

Using VS2012-Lightswitch I set up for a potential client to evaluate an application to be hosted on Azuare, I set up an Azure web site. The only location option allowed was West US. I deployed the application to this location which accessed a database previously configured in East US. I tested it and all was good.

The next day I deleted the database in East US and re-staged it in West US. I then attempted changed the settings to point to the new West US database and attempted to redeploy to the Azure web site. I would get the following error:

Error 9 Web deployment task failed. (Connected to the remote computer ("waws-prod-bay-001.publish.azurewebsites.windows.net") using the Web Management Service, but could not authorize. Make sure that you are using the correct user name and password, that the site you are connecting to exists, and that the credentials represent a user who has permissions to access the site.  Learn more at: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=221672#ERROR_USER_UNAUTHORIZED.) C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v11.0\Web\Microsoft.Web.Publishing.targets ...

I tried numerous things including deleting and recreating the West US web site and database - no go. The only way I was able to get it deployed was to create a new web site having a different name than the original.

There seems to be a bug somewhere in the Azure/VS2012/Lightswitch.

Bruce

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:24 PM

Answers