After renaming page (e.g. groupedItems) the html file cannot be found anymore

Question

• I tried renaming a page in my app, for example the groupedItems page.

> Exclude groupedItems.html, groupedItems.css, groupedItems.js from the project

> Rename them on the file system (for example to groupedItemsX.html, etc.)

> Include them in the project again

After updating the references in the code I tried to start the app. This resulted in the following exception:

The app couldn’t resolve ms-appx://6d47b841-9f83-45fb-b5e1-fce46f3a8d2b/pages/cover/groupeditems.html because of this error: RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND

Hence, it looks like references to the old filename are cached somewhere. How can I make sure the new filenames will be used?

• Edited by metrostyle Thursday, August 2, 2012 2:06 PM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 12:00 PM

Answers

• I don't know exactly what the problem was, but I got it to work now :) Basically, I just recreated the entire folder structure and the exception doesn't appear anymore.

Thanks for your help!

Thursday, August 2, 2012 3:00 PM

All replies

• Did you try a clean build?

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Thursday, August 2, 2012 1:35 PM
  • Yes, that didn't work.
    Thursday, August 2, 2012 2:05 PM
  • Normally you just right click on the file and choose rename.  Did you create a new folder in your project called cover?  Did you choose use existing and point to the file when adding it to the new folder?

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Thursday, August 2, 2012 2:25 PM
  • This time I tried renaming the files using the right click option (which apparently is only available when the project isn't running), but I get the same exception. It's still looking for the old filename.

Yes, I added the files as you describe.

Thursday, August 2, 2012 2:48 PM
  • PS, make sure the package action is set to 'Content' for each of these files after you add them (Properties).

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Thursday, August 2, 2012 2:48 PM
  • I don't know exactly what the problem was, but I got it to work now :) Basically, I just recreated the entire folder structure and the exception doesn't appear anymore.

Thanks for your help!

Thursday, August 2, 2012 3:00 PM
  • Thanks for this metrostyle - I was wondering why I couldn't rename a "NewFolder" in my project for ages - stopping the project made "rename" available. Was totally unclear why ....... maybe they should prompt " Please stop your project to rename your NewFolder ! "

:)

Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:17 PM