Upgrade to 2013 causes error about needing Microsoft.LightSwitch.Base.Server.dll RRS feed

• Question

• Today I took a project that was working fine in VS 2012 and opened it in VS 2013. After working through the 2800 compile errors that resulted (!!!) I'm finally down to 3 errors, one of which is this:

Error 526 The type 'Microsoft.LightSwitch.ServerGenerated.Implementation.DataServiceImplementation`1<T0>' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'Microsoft.LightSwitch.Base.Server, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'. C:\MyPath\Server\GeneratedArtifacts\DataServiceImplementation.cs 1096 17 Server

I can't figure this one out. As best I can tell Microsoft.LightSwitch.Base.Server no longer exists in VS 2013. I tried referencing the old version just to see what would happen, and I suddenly got errors about some types being defined in more than one place.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Roger Martin

Saturday, January 18, 2014 12:15 AM

Answers

• Hi Roger

>You must add a reference to assembly 'Microsoft.LightSwitch.Base.Server

According to your description above, it throws the error message above when you open VS 2012 LightSwitch project in VS 2013.  For this issue, perhaps it is assembly conflict issue. Our community member faces similar situation before, and he deletes Microsoft.LightSwitch.Base.Server.DLL from the bin folder, then it works fine, you could also try this on your side.

In addition, there are some hints to upgrad your LightSwitch projects from VS 2012 to VS 2013 here.

Hope it helps.

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 2:12 AM
  • If you've upgraded the project to open in VS 2013, none of your projects should have any dependencies on anything that is version 11. You should change them all to version 12 and make sure the hint paths are correct.

Justin Anderson, LightSwitch Development Team

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Roger

>You must add a reference to assembly 'Microsoft.LightSwitch.Base.Server

According to your description above, it throws the error message above when you open VS 2012 LightSwitch project in VS 2013.  For this issue, perhaps it is assembly conflict issue. Our community member faces similar situation before, and he deletes Microsoft.LightSwitch.Base.Server.DLL from the bin folder, then it works fine, you could also try this on your side.

In addition, there are some hints to upgrad your LightSwitch projects from VS 2012 to VS 2013 here.

Hope it helps.

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 2:12 AM
  • If you've upgraded the project to open in VS 2013, none of your projects should have any dependencies on anything that is version 11. You should change them all to version 12 and make sure the hint paths are correct.

Justin Anderson, LightSwitch Development Team

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:30 PM
  • Also, the exception is in one of the generated classes. ('Microsoft.LightSwitch.ServerGenerated.Implementation.')  

Perhaps you should do a clean/rebuild and try to get LS to regenerate those classes.

It's your story - time to switch on the innovation.||About me||LightSwitch blog

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:55 PM
  • You got me on the right path, Angie. I did two things:

* Deleted Microsoft.LightSwitch.Base.Server.dll from the bin directory

* Fixed up the references in web.config. ReSharper had suggested I change them to v11, but that was incorrect. I changed all references to v11 back to v12.

FYI, I did not have to add a reference to Microsoft.LightSwitch.Base.Server.dll. I don't think this exists in VS 2013.

I have gotten the code to compile successfully some of the time and am still encountering issues, but the error posted in this thread seems to be resolved. Thanks!

• Edited by Roger Martin (MSDN) Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:02 PM Clarified that I didn't have to add dll reference.
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:01 PM