none
Windows Server 2012 CAL Licensing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a few questions relating to CALs which I am not sure about;

Background;

I have purchased an OEM version of Windows Server 2012 Datacenter edition and will run this on a Dell server; I have purchased all the hardware components from Dell and one other supplier, and will be putting the final package together myself incuding insalling Windows. I also intend to run multiple VMs on this server, both using the base Windows Server 2012 virtualisation rights and also some VMs using MSDN licensing. Probably about 10 VMs in total.

Questions;

1) I have also purchased 10 CAL User licences hich are labelled as OEM. These seem to be a piece of paper which a 'tracking ID' listed, but no serial number or key. How do I install the CALs on the server?

2) Since I have 10 User CALs (as opposed to device CALs) do the CALs allow access for those 10 people to ANY server in my organisation, or only one server? If I were to build a second server with a second instance of Server 2012 Datacenter, would I need to purchase an additional set of CALs?

3) I can see CALs available to purchase as OEM, but otherwise they only seem to be available via Volume Licensing. Since I built the server, am I OK continuing to puchase OEM CALs for additional users, and if not how do I obtain CALs in the retail channel?

4) CALs seem to be different to RDS CALs (used for Remote Desktop Services). How do I obtain OEM RDS CALs as I can't see thse anywhere? Similar to question (1), how do these get installed on the server and do they come a a licence key or just a tracking ID?

5) Does Windows Server 2012 Datacenter edition come with any CALs pre-installed? i.e. can I administer and use the server myself without any seperate CALs?

6) I have read about External Connector Licences and Management Licences; can these be obtained through the retail or OEM channels too?

Thanks for any advice...this seems to be a very confusing area...

Thursday, October 11, 2012 10:50 AM

All replies

• Did you ever hear from anyone? I have the same question... Purchased OEM CALs and have not Keys to enter in the activation wizard.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:07 AM
  • Hi,

no sorry nobody has responded to any of my questions! I'm still stuck with these issues and I can't even seem to find a Microsoft department who can answer the queries!!!!

Saturday, December 29, 2012 11:57 PM
  • Hey buddy,

Contact vlservem@microsoft.com this email id for any of the licensing questions.

Best of luck.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 7:28 AM
  • Hi Asim,

thanks for the info. I tried your suggestion, but got the following reply back;

"...

Thank you very much for your e-mail
    regarding functions and purchasing of CALs. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

As we are solely webguides for the
    Volume Licensing Service Center website, we are unfortunately unable to answer
    these questions as the topic lies beyond our support boundaries. <o:p></o:p>

For further information, please
    contact our business pre sales and licensing team on 0844 800 2400 (Option 3,
    then 3 again) and they will be able to provide you with detailed answers for
    all of your questions. <o:p></o:p>

Many thanks for your understanding,
    Richard. <o:p></o:p>

Have a great day. <o:p></o:p>

With kind regards, <o:p></o:p>

Michael Burgess  <o:p></o:p>

Microsoft Volume Licensing Services Team

..."

So, still having trouble, as when I call the number quoted, they tell me they can't help as I have already purchased the Server software and they are only pre-sales!!!

It seems strange that a company like Microsoft does not have a department that can deal with licensing queries....

Monday, February 11, 2013 9:49 AM
  • Hey there,

You have to activate the RDS Server first to use RDS CALS using the following link:

https://activate.microsoft.com/

Follow the steps in process.

Hopefully you will find all your answers here.

• Edited by AsimPervaz Monday, February 11, 2013 10:21 AM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 10:16 AM
  • Thanks Asim.

Actually, I have a few other questions which need to be answered before I can purchase anything; are you a Microsoft Partner, and if so can I contact you to clarify my questions and purchase via you? I just saw your Starways signature, so apologies if you can't help...queries are;

1) I have purchased 10 Standard CAL User licences which are labelled as OEM. These seem to be a piece of paper which a 'tracking ID' listed, but no serial number or key. How do I install the CALs on the server? Do they need to be instaled, or are they just a paper audit trail?

2) Since I have 10 Standard User CALs (as opposed to device CALs) do the CALs allow access for those 10 people to ANY server in my organisation, or only one server? If I were to build 5 servers, would I need to purchase more CALs or would my existing CALs cover those users?

3) I can see Stanard CALs available to purchase as OEM, but otherwise they only seem to be available via Volume Licensing. Since I built the server, am I OK continuing to puchase OEM CALs for additional users, and if not how do I obtain CALs in the retail channel rather than through VL?

4) CALs seem to be different to RDS CALs (used for Remote Desktop Services). How do I obtain OEM RDS CALs as I can't see thse anywhere?

5) Does Windows Server 2012 Datacenter edition come with any CALs pre-installed? i.e. can I administer and use the server myself without any seperate CALs?

6) I have read about External Connector Licences and Management Licences; can these be obtained through the retail or OEM channels too?

Monday, February 11, 2013 10:28 AM
  • What are Server CALS and RDS CALs?

Server Client Access Licenses (Server CALs or Windows CALs) allow connected computers to access the features of the server operating system such as file storage, printing services, and system tools. Windows Server CALs are kept for audit purposes and are not installed on the server. Windows Server CALs usually come bundled with the Server Operating System.

Remote Desktop Services Client Access Licenses (RDS CALs) formerly Terminal Services Client Access Licenses (TS CALs)allow connected computers to call for the launch of a published desktop or multiple instance of an application’s executable. TS CALs are installed on the server to allow for remote access through Terminal Services.

If you have 10 RDS CALS all the 10 users can connect to all the servers in the domain.

For Purchasing RDS CALS you can call your local Microsoft Partner Re-Seller and additional queries.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/existing-customers/activation-centers.aspx

Check your local number and ask for details.

Sorry I am not a re-seller and neither I can help you more.

Monday, February 11, 2013 11:10 AM
  • Hi Asim,

thanks for the reply. I will try Micrsoft again, but all the links you post appar to get me to a dead end. I hope you can see my confusion, even with the links you have posted, for example;

>> If you have 10 RDS CALS all the 10 users can connect to all the servers in the domain.

[Richard] This does not tell me what happens when the servers are not part of a domain. Nor does it tell me what happens if a server moves between two domains.

>>Windows Server CALs usually come bundled with the Server Operating System.

[Richard] Well, they didn;t with my operating system and I can't find out how to purchase more!!

>> For Purchasing RDS CALS you can call your local Microsoft Partner Re-Seller and additional queries.

[Richard] I have tried this on many occasions, but each time the Partner is unable to assist apparently because they cannot answer my queries.

I appreciate your ime responding so far,and understand you are not able to assist any further.

Thanks.

Monday, February 11, 2013 11:16 AM
  • Hey,

You have to configure the Servers first (Which you want to access using RDP) with the RDS Server be it in your domain or separate domain or in a workgroup.

Monday, February 11, 2013 11:22 AM
  • Were you ever able to figure out how to activate the 10 user cals with your tracking number.  I am having the same frustration.  

-Bob

Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:02 PM
  • Bump.

Did you succeed? I have a windows server 2012 foundation server 15 cal) with no working RD at all after first 120 days "trial".

I have set licensing server to the local serverhost (its standalone in a workgroup) but it just doesnt work.

Microsoft support are worthless over the phone .....

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:25 PM
  • Had a tough time finding this answer, but here you go.  Since Server 2008, CALs are no longer installed.  They are purchased and you should have them for all the users you have, but you purchase them then keep them handy in case of an audit.  This is probably why the answer is so elusive, as it's now an honor system deal more or less.  Keep in mind that if for whatever reason you are audited and don't have CALs to show for each user, there could be serous issues, but with server 2008 they removed the Licensing manager out of the Servers so CALs are purchased, kept on hand, but not installed.
    • Proposed as answer by boogeyman56 Thursday, January 22, 2015 12:11 AM
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 12:11 AM