will win32 bit application run faster on win64 bit ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

If I run win32 application on win64 bit, it will run faster ? ( instead of running the same win32 bit application on windows 32 bit) ?

Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:46 PM

All replies

• In your case system has to do a memory address translation for everything it does.It depends on the scenario. It definately isn't as efficient as it could be running a 32 bit verion of IIS on an x-64 server is painfully slow compared to what it could be.
    In my experience You might see a big performance difference if you're doing graphics manipulation.
    If you use structures a lot, and have lot's of 64 bit computations (double, long) then you'll see a performance decrease due to the 32bit Jit engine being less advanced compared to the 64bit one.And also if you don't need to exceed 2GB limit for your process you do not need 64 bit for addressing capabilities, the OS takes care of that for you using a special CPU mode called Long Mode - Compatibility SubMode. (The CPU is actually running in 64 bit mode, but using 32bit for addressing, for compatibility).
    All-in-all, I would say not to worry about the performance issues unless you have a performance-sensitive application.
    Lingaraj Mishra
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 11:14 AM
  • 32bit software will run quite happily on a 64bit Windows. Where you may encounter problems are with drivers - particularly for older hardware where there just won't be 64bit drivers.
    http://www.bankingresume.org/
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:19 AM
  • Most 32-bit software will still function because of a Microsoft emulation layer. This emulation layer, known as Windows on Windows 64 or WoW64, enables 32-bit programs to run as though on a 32-bit version of Windows by translating instructions passing in and out of 32-bit applications into 64-bit instructions.

Applications running on a 64-bit edition of Windows should theoretically experience improved performance because of the larger quantity of available memory, even if the application is running within the WoW64 layer. Much like the advantage offered by increasing physical memory in a 32-bit system.

If you have a native C++ code then a 32-bit will not work on 64-bit and vice versa as its platform dependent, and you will have to use two releases of the code.

Having said that, as mentioned above in my post 32-bit managed code can continue to work fine even on 64-bit.

Hope this helps.

Vidya Vrat Agarwal. http://dotnetpassion.blogspot,com
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 8:26 PM