how to reposition MessageDialog when magnifier is on?

Question

• Hi, I need to be able to re-position the modal dialogs in windows 8 store app when the magnifier is in.

So that the user wouldn't get confused if a modal dialog pops-up and can't see it on screen (since the screen is zoomed). This would create bad UX since the user will not be able to interact with the app anymore and hopefully finds the dialog and takes action or gets annoyed and closes application. I looked around and couldn't find a way to position the dialog.

Thanks.

Regards, Rv.

Or on the contrary, how to reset the magnified window (when magnified using the default magnifier) such that the current modal dialog is focussed on screen.
    • Edited by Ravindra Kumar KS Tuesday, October 07, 2014 10:02 PM alternative/workaround
    Tuesday, October 07, 2014 9:53 PM

Answers

• Not from a normal Windows Store app. If you're side-loading you could use a Brokered Windows Runtime Component to call the Magnification API to automatically centre it on the screen. Test that with actual users though, since unexpectedly warping the focus may confuse users who expect to know where on the screen they are looking.
    Friday, October 10, 2014 12:04 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Apps do not have control over the MessageDialog.

Users running Magnifer are generally used to running under magnification and examining the screen to find the interesting parts.

--Rob

Tuesday, October 07, 2014 10:37 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Rob, however it would be really annoying when the modal popup comes up and the user did not know about it, and if it's out of the magnifier viewport...

I was looking at the magnifier API, and was wondering if that's something that I could hook up with my application? Does that sounds like a good option?

Regards, Rv.

Thursday, October 09, 2014 12:46 AM
  • Windows Store apps cannot use the Magnifier API. It is available only to desktop apps.
    Thursday, October 09, 2014 10:51 PM
    Owner
  • not even by creating a C++ component and including it from win store app?

Regards, Rv.

Thursday, October 09, 2014 11:18 PM
  • Not from a normal Windows Store app. If you're side-loading you could use a Brokered Windows Runtime Component to call the Magnification API to automatically centre it on the screen. Test that with actual users though, since unexpectedly warping the focus may confuse users who expect to know where on the screen they are looking.
    Friday, October 10, 2014 12:04 AM
    Owner
  • Sure, will do, thanks.

Regards, Rv.

Friday, October 10, 2014 12:41 AM