Hyperlink Field in Sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a hyperlink field in sharepoint list. Let us say for example, it contains http://www.google.com in "Type the Web address:" section and "Google" in "Type the description:".  In an email generated by the workflow, I want it to show only Google and google should be hyperlinked to http://www.google.com.  Request your assistance in achieving this result.  Let me know in case of any queries.  Thanks!

Shashank Achanta

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:43 PM

Answers

• Unfortunatly I know of no way in designer to split a list item ...

Your best bet is to seperate the two into two seprate columns, or try and accomplish this through coding, but I cant help in that area.

Monday, July 2, 2012 8:31 PM

All replies

• This could be done in designer. So first you create a couple workflow variables for the Google and the hyperlink and set those using the action "set workflow variable" Once you do that its very simple use this format <a href="Z">X</a>

In the bottom left there is the lookup to body and so Z=the variable with the link (google.com) and X=variable with the Name (Google)

Let me know if you have any question or this doesn't work

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 9:43 PM
  • Could you let me know on how to set the hyperlink and the description as two different variables...

Shashank Achanta

Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:20 AM
  • Hi KyleNedic,

That's sound interesting for me. I know this is can be simply achieved in SharePoint 2010 using a click of a button in the "Send to Email" action but in SharePoint 2007 its a challenge. So I request you to write down the exact steps and with few snap shots if possible.

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Zakir Chougle || SharePoint Developer

-----------------------------------------
    Please click "
    Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem, or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you

Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:50 AM
  • So I imagine this has that you had 2 columns in a list or something lets call them url and title

url is set to google.com and title is set to Google

Make the workflow set it to where ever this stuff is stored and then click the variables button in the bottom and make two variables as something like workflowURL and workflowTitle.

Now under the actions use "Set Workflow variable" and set workflowURL to url column and workflowTitle to title column (setting the workflow to start when anything is created means you should make the two columns required or it messes up) Once you do that do another action and select "Send an email" in the body of the email write whatever you want then as i previous stated use this format <a href="Z">X</a> and so eraze the Z and click on add lookup to body and select workflow variable and then workflowURL then erase the X and add lookup to body and select workflow variable worflowTitle. Then it should just show up as Google hyperlinked to google.com

Hope this helps

Friday, June 29, 2012 3:16 PM
  • Hi KyleNedic,

I actually have only one hyperlink field in the list.  The hyperlink field in a list consists on 2 parts; the hyperlink and the description.  I wanted to know of a way to call out the description and assign it to a variable "X" in a workflow.  Could you let me know on how to accomplish this. 

Shashank Achanta

Sunday, July 1, 2012 8:17 AM
  • Unfortunatly I know of no way in designer to split a list item ...

Your best bet is to seperate the two into two seprate columns, or try and accomplish this through coding, but I cant help in that area.

Monday, July 2, 2012 8:31 PM