none
Understanding the role of Office Apps in the Dvlp of a Cloud/Wireless Warehouse Management System RRS feed

• Question

• I have been investigating online on how to develop a cloud-based infrastructure for order reception, inventory tracking, invoice issuing, stock exit, stock alerts, stock ordering, claim reception, satisfaction survey. 

At the moment I have subscription for the MS365, with Access, Sharepoint, Dynamics, OneDrive, PowerApps, Flow, etc... but its very hard to understand the role of each app in this project.

I would use Access as a front-end interface to an SQL private database.

My access database would have an inventory list with personal SKUs.

Then I want to associate a barcode to each SKU and print and stick these barcodes to the received items this would be done using MS Office apps.

When an employee needs to make the stock count, he could take out his mobile phone and use an app that would be designed using PowerApps, this App would connect the mobile device to MS Access and update the stock on each scan.

If I myself would go in the warehouse and scan a product I would like to get all the infos of this product directly on my device, this would be done using another PowerApp and connected with Sharepoint, in which all the info of each SKU is available (also available in Access).

No, in fact I am totally lost, it seems to be that Sharepoint is similar to Access which is also similar to Dynamics, or Excel or Onedrive.

It is very hard to understand.

There is also Access Desktop app and mobile app.

Could somebody give me a 101 on the role of Access in this sort of system, and if its worth to try to do in Access versus Dynamics vs Sharepoint vs Flow vs Excel ?

Thursday, September 7, 2017 5:43 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I think there is no need to use Access.

In my opinion, PowerApps would take the place of MS Access gradually. Access web apps have been retired and no longer supported and there is no Access for mobile. PowerApps is new technique Microsoft recommends which can publish and use on web and mobile. PowerApps could also connect to SQL Server in either Azure or an on-premises database. 

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 8, 2017 5:14 AM
  • Hi Celeste,

Then I should use:

- Sharepoint for a personal cloud database

- Azure SQL for an enterprise cloud database

- On premises SQL server for a physical enterprise database (copy of Azure and vice versa)

- Ms Access for a desktop interface for regular users to the cloud/physical enterprise databases

- Ms Excel for external sharing of data (outside of enterprise)

- Ms Azure for a cloud interface for IT users to the cloud enterprise database (SQL Azure)

- Ms Flow for macros

- Ms PowerApps for connections between all the services and hardware

I don't know if its correct, its wild guesses from what I understood.

If you or somebody else who better understand the whole Microsoft Services Environment could make me understand if I need to use all these services in this manner, is there a more efficient way to use these services, Should I use only 2 of 3 etc...?

At the moment we have only a physical SQL server with remote connection to the database, it seems archaic.

And we mostly use excel and outlook to share data.

We do have subscription for Visual Studio, Ms Access.

We don't use the MS 365 version of emails, we use a independent mail server so we cannot use all services of Ms365.

I would like to switch fully to Ms 365 and to implement power apps and flow and sharepoint and azure but I don't know the steps, first I am trying to understand each product but its hard. The videos on youtube are not very useful either. (to me at least).

Best Regards,

TS

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 1:37 PM
  • Hi TSDXR,

First of all, I wonder do you have such a Management System, and you want to understand the parts of it or you want to develop cloud-based application to meet some requirement?

>> I have been investigating online on how to develop a cloud-based infrastructure for order reception, inventory tracking, invoice issuing, stock exit, stock alerts, stock ordering, claim reception, satisfaction survey.

It seems you want to know how to develop such a cloud-based infrastructure, if so, could you share us more detail information about your requirement like which function to have, which platform to use?

>> its very hard to understand the role of each app in this project.

Which app to use depends on your requirement, there is no need to use all of them.

>> I would use Access as a front-end interface to an SQL private database.

For this, Access is UI for end user and SQL is used to store data.

>> When an employee needs to make the stock count, he could take out his mobile phone and use an app that would be designed using PowerApps, this App would connect the mobile device to MS Access and update the stock on each scan.

Do you mean you will use PowerApps on mobile? If so, could you share us why PowerApp need to connect MS Access? Should Access only be FE? Why did PowerApp not connect to SQL Server?

>> this would be done using another PowerApp and connected with Sharepoint, in which all the info of each SKU is available (also available in Access).

Why there is a new PowerApp to connect to SharePoint? What is the function for SharePoint? Will it better to connect to SQL Server which already has the data?

If you want to design an application, you need to consider what is the purpose of this app, which Front-end and Back-End to use. I think you could combine PowerApps and SQL Server to implement such system, there is no need to use other Office products if there is no specific requirement.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 9:23 AM
  • For security Purpose I would say Sharepoint less secure than Access less secure than SQL.

So I would want basic data to be on sharepoint, mobile connection to be on sharepoint or access, and sensitive data to be on SQL. And the bridges from one app to another be very limited.

Then again i know nothing of computer security in details.

Admin has access to all data, operator has access to sharepoint data, managers have some access to MS Access data.

Security is why I would say I just can't use one software and give it to everybody.

But then again I heard of Azure Active Directory, yet another software/app.

It seems that all of this is just one Software divided in multiple add-ins.

I just did a picture (PPT) trying to explain it better:Microsoft Explanation

Thursday, September 14, 2017 8:54 AM
  • Hi TSDXR,

Thanks for sharing the picture, and we could know you have designed your application structure. It combines most of Microsoft Product, and looks great.

But, I am not sure what’s your issue? Per to the subject, you want to know every role for Cloud System part. Based on your description, you already think out every part for each purpose due to security requirement. And in my option, there is no problem to achieve the purpose by these products.

Do you have any specific issue or error?

Best Regards,

Edward 

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, September 14, 2017 9:05 AM
  • It seems really hard to get a clear answer on this forum.

It seems my approach is too complicated.

3rd try:

Has anybody got a working hybrid (cloud-physical) inventory management system, and how did they get it working?

Please explain which software you use and why you chose to use this one over another.

If you use more than one software, explain the reasoning behind it (security, cost, processing power, connectivity, etc..)

Hope!

TSDXR

Monday, September 18, 2017 8:28 AM
  • Hi TSDXR,

In my option, there is no exact answer for your thread. Your question is too wide, and it mostly depends on your business requirement.

You could assume how could I say Excel is better than Access or Access is better than SQL Server. Different products suit different scenarios.

I think we could change this thread type to General Discussion to accept more comments.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 8:45 AM