XBAP trusted site windows 7 issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I created a WPF full trust XBAP application with .NET 4.0 and I need it to run on the Internet.

Therefore I tell the users to add my website to their trusted sites list, so that I do not need no certificate or complex deployment settings on the client's computer.

This seems to work fine with Windows Vista and Windows Server Web machines I used for testing.
    But on Windows 7 with IE8, whatever the trusted site zone security lev el, when installing user receives the "Trust not granted" warning message!

Am I missing something?

Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:06 PM

Answers

• How are you deploying the application? Are you just copying the xbap file to the server? Or are you using ClickOnce deployment (the publish tab in Visual Studio)?

If you are using CLickOnce, you have to use a valid code-signing certificate issued by a valid certificate authority such as Verisign in order for it to say it is a trusted publisher.

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev
    • Marked as answer by Helen Zhou Thursday, August 25, 2011 3:13 AM
    Friday, August 19, 2011 3:55 AM
  • Hi frSurfer2,

It is recommended that you use the ClickOnce Trusted Deployment model for deploying a full-trust XBAP. This model allows your XBAP to be granted full trust automatically, regardless of the security zone, so that the user is not prompted. As part of this model, you must sign your application with a certificate from a trusted publisher. For more information, see Trusted Application Deployment Overview and Introduction to Code Signing and WPF XAML Browser Applications Overview.

Sincerely,

Helen Zhou [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, August 22, 2011 7:46 AM
  • @ Helen, The issue was that with Window 7, one could not even allow the application to run when not signed. The process of signing an application is far too complex and expensive! I gave up and start using ASP.NET in conjunction with Javascript, in order to produce Web applications that run from within ANY browser (including Safari on Mac) and now, after 3 month, I'm wondering how comes I didn't do it earlier!... So much for clumsy cluttered XBAP clickonce process. Anyway, thanks or answering.
    • Marked as answer by Helen Zhou Thursday, November 3, 2011 3:08 AM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 6:50 PM

All replies

• How are you deploying the application? Are you just copying the xbap file to the server? Or are you using ClickOnce deployment (the publish tab in Visual Studio)?

If you are using CLickOnce, you have to use a valid code-signing certificate issued by a valid certificate authority such as Verisign in order for it to say it is a trusted publisher.

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev
    Friday, August 19, 2011 3:55 AM
  • Hi frSurfer2,

It is recommended that you use the ClickOnce Trusted Deployment model for deploying a full-trust XBAP. This model allows your XBAP to be granted full trust automatically, regardless of the security zone, so that the user is not prompted. As part of this model, you must sign your application with a certificate from a trusted publisher. For more information, see Trusted Application Deployment Overview and Introduction to Code Signing and WPF XAML Browser Applications Overview.

Sincerely,

Helen Zhou [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, August 22, 2011 7:46 AM
  • @ Helen, The issue was that with Window 7, one could not even allow the application to run when not signed. The process of signing an application is far too complex and expensive! I gave up and start using ASP.NET in conjunction with Javascript, in order to produce Web applications that run from within ANY browser (including Safari on Mac) and now, after 3 month, I'm wondering how comes I didn't do it earlier!... So much for clumsy cluttered XBAP clickonce process. Anyway, thanks or answering.
    • Marked as answer by Helen Zhou Thursday, November 3, 2011 3:08 AM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 6:50 PM