Windows Themes: Past and Present

General discussion

• Here's a suggestion for Windows 8:

Include themes designed to mimic past versions of Windows and many of the various display styles that have been introduced over the years. This would include:
    1. Windows Classic (95-ME theme)

2. Windows XP Style (Luna style)

3. Windows Vista Aero (my personal favorite, and not the same as Windows 7)

4. Windows 7 Aero

5. Windows 8 Metro

This way, users could select whatever theme they want without having to buy a program like WindowBlinds. Many users who have resisted the change from Windows XP to Windows 7 might prefer the addition of a Luna theme, since it would make Windows 8 look more like Windows XP while still moving forward in a big, new way. I would like to see a return of the Vista Aero theme, since it was my favorite and I actually prefer using it over the Windows 7 version. For users looking for a more tablet-like experience, they could choose a Metro theme. For those who still like the look of Windows 98, they could choose a Classic theme.

In addition to these changes, I'd also like to see a return of the post-startup Pearl Animation. I liked it better than the Windows 7 splash screen, and unlike the Windows 7 version, it matches the resolution your computer is set to, so it doesn't look stretched on monitors that aren't 1024x768. Plus, the Windows Vista logo animates faster than the Windows 7 version. As for the new boot screen in Windows Developer Preview, it got on my nerves more quickly than a loading bar does.
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 1:22 PM

All replies

• For first suggestion, it depends whether people are looking back or moving forward. As you see for Windows 7, in Microsoft website almost every month there are new themes that being upload and users could put something new on their desktop and they could customize it very well. About start menu many things are being discuss and comments are being review.

Since it is pre-Beta, it is just about idea of future version of Windows, you will see many more new things and ways to customize for future version.

Monday, October 31, 2011 9:58 AM