Where to put logged user photo and logout button

General discussion

• Hi,

In my application login is mandatory.

After login, user navigates the app through a navigation menu in top appbar (like News app).

Where should I put logged user photo and logout button?

My options:

- In top appbar on the right.

- In home page canvas

- In settings charm

Sunday, July 21, 2013 12:17 PM

All replies

• Hi OasisLiveForever

Thank you for supporting the forum and I will change your post as "General Discussion" .

Hope community members will give you some good suggestions.

James He
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:23 AM
  • Hello,

My preferred place for putting the logout button is under the settings charm because usually the users are looking for it there and if the users are expecting it to be under settings it will be a good usability choice to make it available there.

Hope it helps,

Melania

Friday, August 23, 2013 4:42 AM
  • I realize this is an older post, but wanted to add to it for future viewers/reference.

I agree with Melania that the Settings is the place to put login/logout information (as in an Accounts entry point, much like the email app).

Having said that, the Xbox app has the login/logout information shown in a box in the upper right corner. It works for that app, but not all apps. So look at your user scenario and determine if it makes sense to put that "chrome" on your canvas (does the user login/logout a lot?!?) or in the Settings (set once and leave alone).

Regards,

Christine

Saturday, November 09, 2013 2:46 PM