none
HeapDump.exe exception when using ForceGC RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to get familiar with PerfView while testing a chunk of my code for a memory leak.  However when I click on "Force GC" in the "Collecting Memory Data" dialog (or simply run HeapDump.exe from the command line) I get the following exception (shown with the rest of the log messages):

Exec: "C:\Users\jmoore\AppData\Roaming\PerfView\VER.2016-02-16.08.44.44.000\x86\HeapDump.exe" /ForceGC 5064 Loading the ETWClrProfiler. Turning on debug privilege. Highest Runtime in process is version v4.0.30319 0.0s: Trying to attach a profiler. 0.1s: Done Attaching ETLClrProfiler ret = 0 Attached ETWClrProfiler. 0.2s: Enabling JScript Heap Provider 0.2s: Enabling EtwClrProfiler 0.2s: Enabling CLR GC events 0.2s: Requesting a JScript GC 0.2s: Requesting a DotNet GC 0.2s: Requesting .NET Native GC HeapDump Error: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80071068): The GUID passed was not recognized as valid by a WMI data provider. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80071068) at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo) at Microsoft.Diagnostics.Tracing.Session.TraceEventSession.CaptureState(Guid providerGuid, UInt64 matchAnyKeywords, Int32 filterType, Object data) at GCHeapDumper.TriggerAllGCs(TraceEventSession session, Stopwatch sw, Int32 processID) at GCHeapDumper.ForceGC(Int32 processID) at Program.MainWorker(String[] args)

Completed: Forcing a GC to process 5064   (Elapsed Time: 0.416 sec)
    Error: HeapDump failed with exit code 1.  See log for details.

I'm not sure how to resolve this.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 8:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Cvnk,

I am not familiar with Perfview. But after some search, here is the blog about PerfView written by  Vance Morrison

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2012/10/09/improving-your-apps-performance-with-perfview/

When I check your error, someone looks like meet the same issue as yours.

Please check Mike Sage's issue, please also take a look if others reply help or not.

Best regards,

Kristin

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 8:51 AM
  • Hi, Kristin.

Thanks for the reply.  I've actually been to that page (and everywhere else on the web it feels like) and while Mike Sage was experiencing a problem with the same heapdump tool his issue was different.  He was getting a FileNotFoundException as opposed to the COMException I'm getting.

I think the key to my problem is the message inside the error ("The GUID passed was not recognized as valid by a WMI data provider.") but I don't know how to interpret that.  I'm aware of what "WMI" means of course but that doesn't help me really.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 1:50 PM
  • As an aside, I don't seem to get alerts even though I enabled them.  Is that feature disabled or something?
    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 1:59 PM