Line of Business App Best Practices for Q4 2015? RRS feed

• Question

• I am transitioning from a world of WPF XAML, C# and SQL Server to a world of Azure, Azure SQL and Universal apps.

I am not interested in learning JavaScript or HTML 5 at this time.

I'm looking for ways to build a universal line of business app that leverages Azure SQL, adheres to current best practices and leverages my existing skillset. This app will be a "business management system" so to speak. It will track customers, orders, shipments, manufacturing operations, etc.

As I look at the variety of Azure service offerings my head spins. It seems clear that a middle tier web service should be part of the solution and workflow is certainly of value in a business system but where do I begin!?

In a perfect world, something like LightSwitch would produce a Universal app or SharePoint would have a quality integration to Azure, but that's not at all the case.

Are there samples or frameworks, either free or commercial (things similar to the ExpressApp framework but Universal) that offer guidance as to how one might leverage the latest Azure and Windows Universal capabilities to produce such an app? Any and all suggestions are most welcome. I'm having a difficult time finding where to start given my current desktop developer skillset. It seems like everywhere I turn, someone wants to shove javascript down my throat.

Sunday, September 13, 2015 1:02 AM

Answers

• Trying to understand your requirements... It appears that you are not looking at creating "web applications", but rather rather "Windows 10 Universal apps" or the like - is that correct?

Most businesses that we deal with (in our space anyway) are all looking for web applications due to ease of deployment and management, so we are looking for the same as you in the post LightSwitch era, but for web applications specifically, and it has to be RAD as we simply don't have the time or resources for projects measured in "man years" anymore. If those can support occasionally connected scenarios then it is even better.

Our best non-LightSwitch alternative to date has been Ember.js on the client side connected to a WebAPI on the backend. But that is Javascript heavy of course, which you do not want.

Regards, Xander. My Blog

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Monday, September 21, 2015 1:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Thursday, September 24, 2015 6:37 AM
    Monday, September 14, 2015 1:37 AM