none
Server Application Error after installing ASP.NET 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Just downloaded and installed ASP.NET Framework and SDK as wish to develop aspx files.

Everything installed fine, no error messages. Ran aspnet_regiis.exe -i

When I try and load any aspx file I get the following error:

"Server Application Error

The server has encountered an error while loading an application during the processing of your request. Please refer to the event log for more detail information. Please contact the server administrator for assistance."

I don't have this with my laptop installation, only my desktop installation which is a Microsoft Windows XP Media Centre Edition. I have tried just about every bit of advice on various forums, except these Microsoft forums (I know common sense says start here - sorry!)

Has anyone seen this problem and has the miracle to save my sanity please?
    Wednesday, October 10, 2007 8:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• I also run the media edition one problem some hardware vendors like Toshiba sells media edition without IIS so go to control panel in performance and maintentance for Admin tool if IIS is installed.  If it is not there try your restore CD go to Add/Remove programs and choose Windows Components if IIS is part of the OS you will see it and add it.  If it is not there you have to get on the phone with the hardware vendor I did with Toshiba before getting it as Windows update.  Hope this helps.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 9:31 PM
  • Hi Caddre,

Thanks for the advuse, unfortunately I had already installed IIS. I should have also mentioned last night, but was tired, that I can view HTMl files fine from my localhost, I am only having problems with the .aspx and .asmx files.

I am convinced it is something to do with aspnet_regiis.exe -i not actually succeeding and so IIS does not know where to pass .aspx files for parsing??

Cheers anyhow,

Choppsie
    Thursday, October 11, 2007 6:25 PM
  • I don't think rendering .html is relevant because IIS will render HTML by default all others must be configured.  So check these two links for two solutions but I have to tell you I don't have issues since IIS was installed in my media edition.  Hope this helps.

%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\yourcomputer\aspnet_regiis.exe -i

regsvr32 %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\yourcomputer\aspnet_isapi.dll

http://www.geekpedia.com/tutorial25_Setting-up-your-ASP.NET-server-(IIS).html

http://weblogs.asp.net/mikebosch/archive/2007/07/19/Server-Application-Error-on-IIS-for-ASP.NET.aspx

Thursday, October 11, 2007 8:58 PM
  • Hi Caddre,

Thanks for the links. I had to back out SQL Server, .NET SDK and Framework, then IIS, reboot the machine, install Distributed Transaction Coordinator by running msdtc -install from the command prompt, then re-install each in the following steps:

Install IIS
    Install ASP.NET 2.0 Framework
    Install ASP.NET 2.0 SDK
    Run aspnet_regiis.exe -i
    Install SQL Server
    Install Visual Web Developer

Phew ;o)

Again, thanks for your help, much appreciated,

Choppsie
    Saturday, October 13, 2007 9:40 PM