none
Clients stop being able to connect to a WCF Service after some time RRS feed

• Question

• I have a self-hosted WCF service. I have several types of clients that call the service (a regular desktop application, a Silverlight application, an application running within Internet Explorer). They all work fine. After some time some of the client (all clients of a certain type) stop being able to connect to the service. The clients get the following error:

EndpointNotFoundException : There was no endpoint listening at .... that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details. --> WebException : The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.

No exception details are provided, even though the service is configured to provide them.

Clients that are already connected to the server keep working, new clients that are trying to connect all fail with the error above. Only clients of a certain type have this problem, clients of other types keep working (e.g. new desktop clients keep working, while new clients running within IE all have the same problem). I use HTTP transport for all clients now; I used to use NET.TCP transport for some client before. I saw the same behavior for clients using NET.TCP. HTTP clients continued working, while all NET.TCP clients stopped being able to connect after some time.

There are no configuration changes on the server nor on the clients. Initially everything is working, the issue appears after 1 - 2 weeks of operation. The only way to recover is restarting the WCF service, then the clients start working even without being restarted.

Does anyone has any idea how to troubleshoot this please.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 9:40 AM

Answers