Installing to an Inspiron Duo that won't go past the "starting windows" screen.

Question

• Hello all, 

I have an Inspiron Duo, the new dell where the screen flips and it has touch input (http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/landing/en/inspiron?c=us&l=en) and i would love to have windows 8 on it because i hear that the drivers for the touch input work amazingly just like the phone! 

But i have had a problem, my computer (before even knowing windows 8 existed) decided it wouldn't want to work correctly, whenever i turn it on it goes to the "starting windows" screen but the icon never shows up and it restarts itself. 

Can I possibly use a flashdrive and run it from the flashdrive to re-install my OS and fix this problem? and will i keep my files?

Thank you anyone who replies, it will be a great help 

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:34 AM

Answers

All replies

• Some recent updates were causing my laptop to bluescreen and reboot shortly after the Starting Windows screen. I was able to roll back using System Restore...

Try pressing F8 during boot and then run a System Restore.

string fakeEmail="jim.duncan@sharesquared.spam.com"; string realEmail=fakeEmail.Replace(".spam","")
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:01 AM
  • Well, It won't let me start it in safe mode either, and i can't run repair. 
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:07 AM
  • I have Win8 installed on the Inspiron Duo and it works pretty well. You have a couple of options:

- The most stable and tried method would be to burn Win8 installation on a DVD and use a USB external DVD player (they're relatively inexpensive ($30), and it's a good idea to own one of these if you have the inspiron duo)

- Another method (which I have not tried, but should work) is to burn the iso on a bootable USB flash drive. Try this http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/05/11/burn-iso-image-to-usb-flash-pen-drive-kon-boot-to-usb/ (again, i havent tried this)

T.A., Founder and CEO, Apexa, www.apexa.co
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:41 AM