Unable to edit in Sharepoint designer 2010 Beta: Unable to open web site RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello everyone,

When I am trying to edit a SharePoint 2010 site (clicking ribbon -  Site Actions -> Edit Site in SharePoint Designer ), it load SharePoint Designer 2010 application and gives me the following error:

Unable to open Web site. Possible causes:

1. The Web server may not have SharePoint Server installed.
    2. The Web Server may be temporarily out of service.
    3. If you are connecting through a proxy server, the proxy settings may be incorrect.
    4. An error may have occurred in the Web server.

I am almost sure the proxy settings are ok. Will SharePoint 2010 work whether the web server is out of service?

Did anyone face a similar problem?

Thanks and Regards,

Jose

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:33 PM

All replies

• Are you connecting to the site using the IP of the server or via an AAM?  I've seen this happen if you aren't accessing the site using the correct URL.
    John
    SharePoint911: SharePoint Consulting
    Blog: http://www.rossonmoss.com
    Twitter: JohnRossJr

MOSS Explained: An Information Workers Deep Dive into Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 6:15 PM
  • Yeah, if you have more than one binding in IIS for that site, then it won't open.  Either extend the web app and connect to that new URL or ensure you only have one binding (host header) on the current site.

"Will SharePoint 2010 work whether the web server is out of service?"

What does "out of service" mean?  I don't think there are any variations of "out of service" where SPD will be able to connect to the SharePoint site.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:30 AM
  • When SharePoint Designer started, it runs with the security context of your current windows login, which may be different from the SharePoint login in browser.

In IE, I logon SharePoint on another domain which has no trust relationship with my working domain, and I click site action -> edit site in SharePoint designer. SharePoint Designer launched, prompting me to input user name and password. It will open the site if I input the user name and password of the SharePoint domain. If I cancel the credential input dialogue, the same error as you post will be displayed.

So, what is the authentication type for your SharePoint? Since you are using proxy, is it a reverse proxy?

And what about other client integration feature such as open document in Word, Connect to Outlook, are they work well or have similar issue?

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:07 AM
  • I am having this same problem with my web app that is on port 80.  I have other web apps on other ports, and I can edit them as expected in SharePoint Designer.  The only thing different with my app on port 80 is that is was created using a Publishing template, and the other web apps were based on team sites.  I am unable to edit any sites on port 80, regardless of the site template used.  Would the type of template chosen for the home site be a factor?
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 8:14 PM
  • Yeah, Lynn, the site template doesn't matter.  On port 80, do you have anything else running such as the default site that IIS has?  It is on port 80, so have you disabled it?  Did you create a host header for your port 80 site, or is it just using http://machinename:port?
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 8:55 PM
  • I disabled the default site from IIS so I only had my site that I created.  The odd thing is that on Port 80 I couldn't even do a "New" document in any of the document libraries.  Via Central Admin I extended the web app, and I have no problems doing anything on the new port.  I'm sensing a rebuild in my near future!
    • Proposed as answer by ukiguy Tuesday, July 6, 2010 6:48 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Clayton Cobb Tuesday, September 7, 2010 6:39 AM
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 4:04 PM
  • Are any of you guys using Forefront TMG server? I am having a similar issue and just trying to find out what exactly is causing this issue. I am using 2 seperate domains with one way trust.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 6:49 PM
  • Hi.

I had to re-install SPD 2007 yesterday due to an issue with an older site and today when I try to edit a SP2010 site using the 'Edit with SharePoint Designer' option in the UI, it's always 2007 that tries to open the site.

Any ideas?

I've changed the default editor in IE and it makes no difference and I can't see any options in Program Access Defaults either.

TIA.

N03L.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 12:51 PM
  • Try starting SPD2010 from your start menu, click the Open Site button and open the site you want to edit from there.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 7:39 AM
  • Hi,

I am also facing the same issue. To give you little more information please note the below observations:

1. The SPD 2010 is connecting to a web hosted SPF 2010  but not connecting to my local standalone development environment on Windows 7 Home Premium, I have ordered for a  Win 7 Professional Upgrade though, but don't know whether that will resolve the issue.

2. SPD 2007 is connecting to my standalone environment though, but I think can't do much after that.

3. It seems that SPD 2010 is also connecting, as sometimes I get a message  "<Site Title> Home" is not a valid folder.

Does this need any configuration on SP 2010 Foundation or IIS7?

Also I see similar issue when trying to use Access DB for connecting to my standalone configuration (it doesn't connect), eventhough it connects to the web hosted SPF 2010.

This makes me conclude that bot SPD 2010 and Access don't have issues and it has to do something at the server end.

Deepak

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:04 AM
  • Hello,

I'm having the same problem. I have a Sharepoint user with Super Administrator profile. I log on to Sharepoint using that user. My Sharepoint is on a hosted server, on a different domain.

Is it possible to design my pages using that user?

Thanks

Sunday, January 16, 2011 12:11 AM
  • I'm having the same problem. I have a Sharepoint user with Super Administrator profile. I log on to Sharepoint using that user. My Sharepoint is on a hosted server, on a different domain. Is it possible to design my pages using that user?

What is a "Super Administrator profile"?

THis thread is about SPD Beta.  Are you using Beta?  If not, please create a new thread with all of your details, including the version of SPD you're using, the version of SharePoint, the exact privileges of your user, and the current settings of SPD at the web app and site collection level.

Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Proposed as answer by Mark186 Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:47 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mark186 Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:47 AM
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 12:20 AM
  • Hi I had the same problem when trying to edit SP2010 pages direct from the site with SPD:

1. The Web Server may be temporarily out of service.
    2. If you are connecting through a proxy server, the proxy settings may be incorrect.
    3. An error may have occurred in the Web server.

My problem was related to the authentication set-up in IIS, I had it set to 'Basic' with a default domain (In order to remove the requirement for the domain name on login)

I swtiched this back to WIA and it worked a treat. I can now edit any pages direct from my site collection in SPD without any problems.

So my Issue was related to IIS not Sharepoint....

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:53 AM