Windows 8 App Navigation Bar issue

Question

• Hi All,

I am developing a windows 8 app. Our app is for physically handicapped people.  Now we have an issue with the navigation bar (top app bar) as described in Microsoft guidelines for navigation. For handicapped people we need to open app bar permanently but in that case our logo and back button will be hide. According to Microsoft guidelines we cannot place navigation buttons in the bottom app bar. We want to move the navigation buttons beside  the Header then our header and back button will not hide. I am not sure about this design pattern. Am I right in this case for handicapped people? Please guide me I does not want rejection from windows store.

Dinesh Rawat MCTS Silverlight

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 10:20 AM

Answers

• There is a Making your app accessible section on the Microsoft website that you must see if you haven't, also see the ARIA sample

Hope that helps,

Zubair Ahmed | @zubairdotnet | zubairahmed.net | Win8RssReader.codeplex.com | facebook.com/zubair.ahmed.public

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 10:30 AM
  • Keep in mind that the guidelines are just that guidelines.  Choose a design that will work for your users.  Your application will still pass store certification if you don't follow the design guidelines exactily. 
    Thursday, October 04, 2012 2:41 AM

All replies

• There is a Making your app accessible section on the Microsoft website that you must see if you haven't, also see the ARIA sample

Hope that helps,

Zubair Ahmed | @zubairdotnet | zubairahmed.net | Win8RssReader.codeplex.com | facebook.com/zubair.ahmed.public

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 10:30 AM
  • Keep in mind that the guidelines are just that guidelines.  Choose a design that will work for your users.  Your application will still pass store certification if you don't follow the design guidelines exactily. 
    Thursday, October 04, 2012 2:41 AM
  • If anyone comes looking for a solution, here is an easy one.

Use IsSticky to keep the app bar to remain open while allowing events to get handled by other controls.

Secondly, handle the app bar's Closed event and set its IsOpen = true and reset IsSticky= true.

When you want to programmatically hide the app bar, just unwire the Closed event and set both values to false

• Proposed as answer by Sean Bennett Thursday, September 19, 2013 11:58 AM
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 11:58 AM