Can't make extension install for Visual Studio 11 Developer Preview

Question

• I have got a custom extension I made and use for Visual Studio.

When I debug it in VS11 it works fine, but I simply can't find a way to make it install for it.

Tried modifying the vsixmanifest in several different ways, no luck.

Tried building it with both VS11 and VS10 sp1 with SDK installed, no luck.

Even if I download vsix files of extensions that are available for VS11 from the extension manager, they won't install for VS11, only for VS10. Tried to extract the vsixmanifest data from those .vsix files, didn't work. The only way to install those for VS11 is by installing them directly from the online Extension Manager. I've also tried to upload my extension there, but can't mark it targeting VS11.

Even if I just pick a sample extension project in VS11 and build it without any modification, it will not install for VS11 despite working fine while debugging.

How did those people, who have extensions uploaded in the online extension manager library, make it available for VS11?

Thanks

• Edited by wuppy Friday, September 30, 2011 9:14 AM
    • Moved by Yi Feng Li Monday, October 3, 2011 8:50 AM VS11 DP issue (From:Visual Studio Extensibility)
    Friday, September 30, 2011 9:13 AM

Answers

• Hello,

so I just tried two different extensions - Item Template and Editor Margin.  Clicking on the vsix to install, I get the dialog Visual Studio Extension Installer, Select the product(s) you want to install the extension to: the Microsoft Visual Studio 11 Ultimate Developer Preview is checked.  Another dialog pops up that reads Installation Complete, MIcrosoft Visual Studio 11 Ultimate Preview.

here is a snippet from the default vsix manifest that worked with the editor margin extension -

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <PackageManifest Version="2.0.0" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/vsx-schema/2011" xmlns:d="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/vsx-schema-design/2011">
      <Metadata>
        <Identity Id="EditorMargin1.Microsoft.390c2e00-b1c9-412c-9b1e-58e1325fe585" Version="1.0" Language="en-US" Publisher="Microsoft" />
        <DisplayName>EditorMargin1</DisplayName>
        <Description>This is a sample margin extension to the Visual Studio Editor.</Description>
      </Metadata>
      <Installation>
        <InstallationTarget Id="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Pro" Version="11.0" />
      </Installation>
      <Dependencies>
        <Dependency Id="Microsoft.Framework.NDP" DisplayName="Microsoft .NET Framework" d:Source="Manual" Version="4.5" />
      </Dependencies>
      <Assets>
        <Asset Type="Microsoft.VisualStudio.MefComponent" d:Source="Project" d:ProjectName="%CurrentProject%" Path="|%CurrentProject%|" />
      </Assets>
    </PackageManifest>

What might help is if you emailed me (mikewong at microsoft.com) so I can take a look at your solution and manifest.

thanks!

mike

• Marked as answer by wuppy Sunday, October 16, 2011 6:09 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 8:11 PM
  • Well, I reinstalled Windows, and now the extensions are working. In the previous installation, I installed VS11 first and VS2010 later. Now I changed the order as it's recommended. Don't know if this is what solved the problem, but I can finally install extensions for VS11 from outside the extension manager.
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 6:08 AM

All replies

• Is your extension a tool or just templates, etc.  If you are installing a tool (plugin/addin) then it won't work on Express (that's the case always with Express).

If you are using the Ultimate product and still not working then that's what we need to understand.

Tim Heuer | Program Manager, XAML | http://timheuer.com/blog | @timheuer
    Monday, October 3, 2011 5:46 PM
  • Thank you for your answer.

I'm pretty sure I have the ultimate version, although it doesn't state it explicitly in the "about" window.

I saw two versions on msdn, and downloaded the non-express version.

It's "Version 11.0.40825.1 PREPEL"

The extensions I can download from the Extension Manager install fine.

If I just make a new solution from any of the "Extension" templates, I can debug it just fine in VS11, but can't make a file that actually installs it for VS11. When I try to modify the manifest file to make the installer target VS11 (like the manifest files of the extensions available in the online extension manager), it normally tells me that this extension doesn't support any installed Visual Studio instance.

Sunday, October 9, 2011 10:20 AM
  • Hello,

so I just tried two different extensions - Item Template and Editor Margin.  Clicking on the vsix to install, I get the dialog Visual Studio Extension Installer, Select the product(s) you want to install the extension to: the Microsoft Visual Studio 11 Ultimate Developer Preview is checked.  Another dialog pops up that reads Installation Complete, MIcrosoft Visual Studio 11 Ultimate Preview.

here is a snippet from the default vsix manifest that worked with the editor margin extension -

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <PackageManifest Version="2.0.0" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/vsx-schema/2011" xmlns:d="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/vsx-schema-design/2011">
      <Metadata>
        <Identity Id="EditorMargin1.Microsoft.390c2e00-b1c9-412c-9b1e-58e1325fe585" Version="1.0" Language="en-US" Publisher="Microsoft" />
        <DisplayName>EditorMargin1</DisplayName>
        <Description>This is a sample margin extension to the Visual Studio Editor.</Description>
      </Metadata>
      <Installation>
        <InstallationTarget Id="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Pro" Version="11.0" />
      </Installation>
      <Dependencies>
        <Dependency Id="Microsoft.Framework.NDP" DisplayName="Microsoft .NET Framework" d:Source="Manual" Version="4.5" />
      </Dependencies>
      <Assets>
        <Asset Type="Microsoft.VisualStudio.MefComponent" d:Source="Project" d:ProjectName="%CurrentProject%" Path="|%CurrentProject%|" />
      </Assets>
    </PackageManifest>

What might help is if you emailed me (mikewong at microsoft.com) so I can take a look at your solution and manifest.

thanks!

mike

Friday, October 14, 2011 8:11 PM
  • Well, I reinstalled Windows, and now the extensions are working. In the previous installation, I installed VS11 first and VS2010 later. Now I changed the order as it's recommended. Don't know if this is what solved the problem, but I can finally install extensions for VS11 from outside the extension manager.
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 6:08 AM