Don't want to use Azure Premium Storage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

It's probably a stupid question, but I don't understand why I'm paying for "azure premium storage" which is quite expansive. I have a "Standard DS1 (1 core, 3.5 GB memory)" and I have no idea why I'm charged for premium storage. I just need basic storage. I don't know how to change this. Any advice?

Here's a screenshot from my billing: http://imgur.com/P4bAdjG

• Edited by drloser Tuesday, February 9, 2016 7:51 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 7:49 PM

All replies

• You would probably be better of to go with a different option then DS1 in case you don't need premium storage.
    From the Sizes for virtual machines page:

DS-series and GS-series VMs can use Premium Storage, which provides high-performance, low-latency storage for I/O intensive workloads. These VMs use solid-state drives (SSDs) to host a virtual machine’s disks and also provide a local SSD disk cache.

Looking at your comment, you probably are better off with standard tier A-series.
    You can change your VM size on the Azure Portal.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 8:18 PM
  • drloser,

What Eldert says above is exactly correct, the entire point of the DS GS series design is to be using premium storage and without using it you are throwing away money. A standard A or D series will much better fill your needs and save you money as well.

-Theo

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 11:37 PM
  • Thanks. I tried to resize it to A1, but I have this error message: "Failed to resize virtual machine 'nicovm' to size 'Standard A1'. Error: Storage account type Premium_LRS is not supported for VM size Standard_A1."

Does it mean that I need to create a 2nd VM and copy my data to it? Is there a guide somwhere?

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 3:25 AM
  • You will have to sysprep your disk, and attach it to a new VM.
    Here is a guide on how to this, mind you that even though this guide is about normal to premium storage, it should work the other way around as well.

Cheers.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 8:39 AM
  • drloser,

To clarify this a bit more, the error you see when resizing is expected since the destination VM type/size does not support premium storage. You will need to migrate your disks to a standard storage account and use them to create a new VM. Note that if its only the data disk that you are concerned about then you can shutdown the source VM, copy the data disk to a standard storage account, register it and then attach it to a new VM.

Some additional information that might interest you:

Deciding between different virtual machine sizes

Bog post on Azure VM Resizing (See "Premium vs. Standard Storage" section)

Hope this helps.

Sriprasad

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 6:48 PM