none
open the excel file from the current document where the task pane app is running RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new to app for office.

I am creating a task pane app for excel where the users can choose some reports(in excel format) and run. The reports will be run on the other server and they will be retrieved through web service. Now I can download the file on the web application root directory. After that, I want to open the report on the current document or copy all the data(including cell formatting) from that document to the current document which I don't have a clue to achieve that. Can anyone give me a hint?

Many thanks!

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 5:01 AM

Answers

• Hi holm0104,

I’m trying to understand your scenario.

According to your description, the reports are stored on the reporting server in Excel format. And you want to download them to local disk, and import report data to the current document.

To achieve that in apps for Office, your app need to integrate with the reporting server.

But it will be complex.

Another alternative option is using VSTO which will be easier.

Hope it will help.

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 3:02 AM

All replies

• Hi holm0104,

For this requirement, in my opinion, we can’t achieve that through app for office. Maybe others have solutions to deal with it.

Best Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:29 AM
  • Hi holm0104,

I’m trying to understand your scenario.

According to your description, the reports are stored on the reporting server in Excel format. And you want to download them to local disk, and import report data to the current document.

To achieve that in apps for Office, your app need to integrate with the reporting server.

But it will be complex.

Another alternative option is using VSTO which will be easier.

Hope it will help.

Regards,

Jeffrey

Thursday, December 11, 2014 3:02 AM