Blend 4 Activation... Again RRS feed

• Question

• I have just downloaded the Window 8 Consumer Preview.  When I open my Blend 4, I've not yet downloaded the 5 programs, I am being prompted that my activation will expire in 2 days and I need to activate Silverlight, WPF and Phone.   I did it twice and it said it was successful, twice.

Mind you, this is my normal Expression Studio that I've been using for the past year or so not the newest preview releases. 

Is this just a bug?  And should I ignore it?

~Christine

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 8:08 PM

Answers

• Did you re-install on the new OS? I believe there is a limit to the total number of activations/installations allowed, but I don't have the info in front of me, just wanted to clarify that this wasn't an existing install?
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 9:01 PM

All replies

• Actually it is asking for Sketchflow activation not the phone.  And it does it every time I open an existing or new project.  I'm not activating anymore!  And if y'all take my Blend away from me there will be some serious fussin' going on! :D

~Christine

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 8:19 PM
  • Hi Rocky.

Do you see that horrible, ugly, orange and brown button in the top right?

Click that to post a new thread or ask a question.

And you aren't the first to not be able to find it.  It doesn't even look like a button.

~Christine

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 8:59 PM
  • Did you re-install on the new OS? I believe there is a limit to the total number of activations/installations allowed, but I don't have the info in front of me, just wanted to clarify that this wasn't an existing install?
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 9:01 PM
  • :D ya I got that n ya its almost impossible to notice that. Thanks

Newbie to WPF

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 9:03 PM

I did not reinstall but could that Windows 8 Consumer Preview have copied/installed it again?  I had to let it run overnight while it was setting everything up.

I think I'll just uninstall the preview.  It's right buggy and I'm not so impressed.  Although I was wanting to play with Blend 5 Preview, but I can wait till release.

~Christine

Edit.. I should have been more clear.  I have a computer with win7 and my Blend.  I only installed the win8 consumer preview to play with it.  I did not reinstall any other programs.  And if it did copy Blend and act like it was reinstalling, well that would have been my 4th install.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 9:07 PM
  • Chuck,

I have really screwed up.  I installed this thing and apparently it replaced my Win7 OS.  I should have read the warnings, but I didn't.  I just kept clicking the OK or Next buttons.

Can you provide me a link of where I can unregister one of my Blend installs?  Or do I need to repurchase?

Technically I haven't reinstalled it but the new OS thinks I have or Blend thinks I have.

Thanks for your help.

~Christine

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 10:36 PM
  • I went through the phone activation process and got it fully activated.

The Data Binding still does not work though.

~Christine

Thursday, April 5, 2012 1:21 AM
  • OK, glad you got it back to working.

Explain the data binding issue? I must have missed something along the way (not surprising, too many things going on at once).

Thursday, April 5, 2012 12:52 PM
  • :) You don't read my mind Chuck?  Which is probably a good thing.

After installing the Win8 Preview, my existing Blend 4 Create Data Binding popup window doesn't work.

It is this way for both Silverlight and WPF.  The same issue reported for Blend 5 in this post...

http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/blend/thread/3da0b61e-cf0a-48c7-9f6e-30c07dfe6ad7

But it isn't specific to just 5.  It is doing it in an existing install of 4.

However, I just discovered that if change the text to just include ="{Binding}" and go back to the Blend UI then the binding popup will work.  The "OK" button is enabled.

<TextBlock HorizontalAlignment="Left" TextWrapping="Wrap" Text="{Binding }" VerticalAlignment="Top" Margin="0,19.96,0,0"/>

So it is just a minor bug that can be worked around, but Blend has kind of spoiled me with how easy it makes binding.  I'm just having a difficult time understanding how a new OS could alter my program so.

~Christine

Thursday, April 5, 2012 3:02 PM