none
Intellisense & Code Completion in Visual Studio 2015 Express vs Professional

Question

• I use both VS 2015 Professional and Express. There is a difference in the way code completion is handled between these two editions.  For example, in the professional edition, when I start typing a name, it pops up in the list and is selected. I can then press space to complete the word and keep typing:

VS 2015 Professional

However, in the express edition, the name i'm typing pops up in the list but is NOT selected (even though the word I want does have a border). Therefore pressing space just advances the cursor without completing the word:

VS 2015 Express

Is this a bug? Or do I need to configure something? Or is it a limitation baked into the express edition?

Friday, June 17, 2016 5:29 PM

Answers

• I actually have Update 3 RC installed. I installed VS 2015 Express for Desktop on a new windows build and then immediately installed Update 3 RC.

However... for some reason, it's now working.  I had verified that the issue existed across multiple projects, after closing and reopening VS, and after rebooting.  But today, I went to verify it again and it is working.  I have no idea what happened, but the problem is gone.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 3:13 PM

All replies

• Hi toleen64,

Which version of Visual Studio Express version do you use?

According to your description, I checked my Visual Studio Express 2015 for Windows Desktop with update 2, when I type the first letter of the property, it will select the property automatically.

Please check whether you Express has installed the Update 2. If not, please download and install it from below link.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/vs2015-update2-vs.aspx

Then please try reset your Visual Studio Express settings through Tools -> Import and Export settings -> Reset all settings.

If the problem still exist, please try close all third part software when running Visual Studio. And then run your Visual Studio in safe mode to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 5:45 AM
  • I actually have Update 3 RC installed. I installed VS 2015 Express for Desktop on a new windows build and then immediately installed Update 3 RC.

However... for some reason, it's now working.  I had verified that the issue existed across multiple projects, after closing and reopening VS, and after rebooting.  But today, I went to verify it again and it is working.  I have no idea what happened, but the problem is gone.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 3:13 PM
  • Hi tolsen64,

I'm glad that this problem has gone and thanks for response this issue here. Please mark your reply as answer to close this thread.

I think there may be some caches on your machine and Visual Studio, after rebooting, these caches are all be cleared.

If any problem for Visual Studio IDE in future, please feel free to come back to create a new thread.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 3:02 AM