none
Creating a Fast VS Dev Env with SSD on C Drive

Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to create a fast VS development environment where the c drive is on SSD.

I've tried creating the following VMs:

- DS4

- D4_V2

- a storage account with Premium Locally Redundant Disc, then create a DS4 with the premium storage account

None of the above methods let me create a copy of windows that run on SSD(on c drive).  Even with premium storage, opening VS 2015 takes a whole minute.  The c drive disk performance does not meet my requirements.  Note that this is not a processor issue, but a disk issue for the system/c partition.

I've used AWS VM for VS development before and I can open up VS instantly.

• Edited by Jarod P Tuesday, January 19, 2016 9:13 PM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2016 9:04 PM

All replies

• Hello,

We are working on the query and would get back to you soon on this. I apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your time and patience in this matter.

Best Regards,

Kamalakar K

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 4:06 PM
  • Any update on this?
    Friday, January 29, 2016 3:12 AM
  • Link Tang,

We do have SSD for the operating system drives on DS and GS spec VMs but you have to stand them up in the premium storage account. Please see the following documentation:

Sizes for virtual machines

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/virtual-machines-size-specs/

DS-series and GS-series VMs can use Premium Storage, which provides high-performance, low-latency storage for I/O intensive workloads. These VMs use solid-state drives (SSDs) to host a virtual machine’s disks and also provide a local SSD disk cache. Premium Storage is available in certain regions. For details, see Premium Storage: High-performance storage for Azure virtual machine workloads.

Premium Storage: High-Performance Storage for Azure Virtual Machine Workloads

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-premium-storage-preview-portal/

Azure uses the storage account as a container for your operating system (OS) and data disks. In other words, if you create an Azure DS-series or GS-series VM and select an Azure Premium Storage account, your operating system and data disks are stored in that storage account.

Hope that helps,

-Theo

Friday, January 29, 2016 7:05 PM
  • I've created a premium storage account then a DS4 VM.

However, the performance of the C drive and D drive actually varies quit a lot.  Is there any configuration where I can speed up C drive's 4K write performance?

• Edited by Link Tang Thursday, February 11, 2016 3:24 AM
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 3:22 AM