Maintaining the collection in a List/ObservableCollection

Question

• i have been successfully adding an item to list in a MVVM, and now my problem is maintaining the list in the view model. Every time i navigate to a page or go back to a page and return to that listview, the list resets. how will i able to achieve that? i am currently using the prism to build the MVVM.

The ViewModel:

public ObservableCollection<CartData> _cartData;

public ObservableCollection<CartData> CartData
            {

get {

if (_cartData == null)
                    {
                        _cartData = new ObservableCollection<CartData>();
                    }

return _cartData;
                 }
            set {

SetProperty(ref _cartData, value);
               }
            }

private DelegateCommand _addItemCommand;
            public ICommand AddItemCommand
            {
                get
                {
                    if (_addItemCommand == null)
                    {
                        _addItemCommand = new DelegateCommand(AddToCart);
                    }
                    return _addItemCommand;
                }
            }

public void AddToCart() {

CartData.Add(new CartData { Cakename = "Black Forest", Cakeprice = 104 });
                       }

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 5:58 AM

Answers

• You should be persisting the list to a permanent location, then calling it back up.  This is the same whether or not you use MVVM.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 9:00 PM
  • Two alternatives if you chose not to have an overhead of reading from disk frequently 1) to use a static reference to the data and access this in the VM constructor, or 2) use the IOC pattern by using a dependency injection container and have the data injected into the constructor of the view model. There pros and cons to all three depending on the app.
    Tuesday, March 4, 2014 10:06 PM

All replies

• You should be persisting the list to a permanent location, then calling it back up.  This is the same whether or not you use MVVM.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 9:00 PM
  • Two alternatives if you chose not to have an overhead of reading from disk frequently 1) to use a static reference to the data and access this in the VM constructor, or 2) use the IOC pattern by using a dependency injection container and have the data injected into the constructor of the view model. There pros and cons to all three depending on the app.
    Tuesday, March 4, 2014 10:06 PM