Visual Studio 2010 toolbar large icons RRS feed

• Question

• Apparently the BONEHEADS that developed Visual Studio 2010 decided to play a trick on those of us with less than perfect eyesight by removing the "Large Icons" option from the Visual Studio toolbar "Customize..." dialog.

This is extremely inconsiderate of developers who may not only prefer but also need larger icons, either because of higher screen resolutions or poor eyesight or both.

Please restore this vital option ASAP.

Wayne Erfling
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:57 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the link to the appropriate site at Connect...

I have posted this issue there as a bug.

This important feature should not have been removed from Visual Studio.

Wayne Erfling
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, June 1, 2010 6:15 AM
    Monday, May 31, 2010 4:54 PM
  • Hi Wayne,

Thank you for your clarification. I can understand your concern better.
    You want to add a feature like "Large Icons" to make the icons on toolbar bigger for you to see, right?

I can understand your favor on "Large Icons" feature. If it doesn't disturb you a lot, you can try providing more information on your concern like why you need this feature. Then you can submit this suggestion on our Connect portal site:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/ 

Every feedback submitted will be evaluated carefully by our engineers. If this suggestion is reasonable and other customers have the similar concern on this feature, they will let us know their comments further through that portal. This would be helpful to improve Visual Studio products.

Thank you for your help and good suggestion.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, May 31, 2010 6:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Wayne,

Thank you for your post.

Could you please help me to check whether this scenario will happen in other software like Word or Excel?
    Could you please help me to check whether the icon is still large if you change screen resolutions?

To eliminate some possible cause of corrupted VS settings, please try to run devenv.exe /resetuserdata in Visual Studio 2010 Command Prompt. This will reset all of your VS environment and customization settings.
    For more information, please check: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb245788(VS.80).aspx#vs05idetips_topic6.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, May 28, 2010 9:39 AM
  • There are no icons that are too large - they are all too small.

My post is about Microsoft's decision to remove the "Large Icons" feature from the "Customize..." dialog.

Because this important feature was removed from Visual Studio the Visual Studio toolbar icons are too small and difficult to see, especially on monitors with higher resolutions and for people with poor eyesight.

It is important that Microsoft restore this feature.

On an LED or LCD screen especially it is important to use the native resolution of the monitor.  Lowering the resolution would make the icons large at the cost of degrading the clarity of the entire monitor (!)

Other people have posted this topic at a Visual Basic specific site and possibly elsewhere but I posted it here at a high level because it affects all users of Visual Studio 2010.

Microsoft should fix this critical mistake ASAP, either by:

1) Restoring the option to have two or more icon sizes (e.g. the "Large Icons" checkbox or its equivalent)

and / or

2) Making the Visual Studio 2010 toolbar icons 50-100% larger

Wayne Erfling
    Friday, May 28, 2010 11:31 AM
  • Hi Wayne,

Thank you for your clarification. I can understand your concern better.
    You want to add a feature like "Large Icons" to make the icons on toolbar bigger for you to see, right?

I can understand your favor on "Large Icons" feature. If it doesn't disturb you a lot, you can try providing more information on your concern like why you need this feature. Then you can submit this suggestion on our Connect portal site:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/ 

Every feedback submitted will be evaluated carefully by our engineers. If this suggestion is reasonable and other customers have the similar concern on this feature, they will let us know their comments further through that portal. This would be helpful to improve Visual Studio products.

Thank you for your help and good suggestion.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Monday, May 31, 2010 6:09 AM
  • Thanks for the link to the appropriate site at Connect...

I have posted this issue there as a bug.

This important feature should not have been removed from Visual Studio.

Wayne Erfling
    Monday, May 31, 2010 4:54 PM
  • Hi Wayne,

Thank you for your good suggestion to help us on Visual Studio products. Please believe that Microsoft continues to improve the product and provide better user experience to use the product.

Have a nice week!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 6:15 AM
  • Please believe that Microsoft continues to improve the product and provide better user experience to use the product.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you would be more correct to say that "Microsoft continues to believe it improves the product...".

Best regards,

Those of us with high resolution adapters NOT working on 45" monitors.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 7:48 PM
  • I totaling agree.  Who was the bonehead that decided to eliminate the "large icon" feature from Microsoft word 2010?  I've been trying to custimize the ribbons by making the icons larger like the feature in Microsoft 2003, but I haven't been able to find it.  So, I'm considering sticking to Word 2003 because of the larger icons...
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 5:05 PM
  • What kind of answer is this: "If it doesn't disturb you a lot, you can try providing more information on your concern like why you need this feature?..." Do you need more information? Is not enough for you? For some people is difficult to see SUCH SMALL ICONS!, specially with today's big screens and big resolutions... Should I go back then to 800x600 resolution in my 22" monitor?... good Microsoft... good
    Friday, July 22, 2011 3:58 AM
  • Whats the status on this? I have VS 2017, and cant find any setting to make the Icons larger. As screens and resolution only gets higher, the UI should adopt to. Viewing a 16x16 Icon on a 4K TV is not so fun... 
    Friday, October 20, 2017 2:57 PM