I cannot access HELP (files) from Visual C++ Express Edition 2010

Question

• Hi:

I have just downloaded a Visual C++ 2010 Express edition (and did some exercises already), however I CANNOT FIND OR OPEN THE "HELP" FILES.

I would like to consult those HELP files on my computer (off line)

I tried installing those files from Internet, but an error dialog box appears everytime I try to download the files (It mentions something like an "Exception. Consult the event register for futher information"...I'm translating the message, due to the Spanish version of Visual C++ 2010 installed in my computer).

On the other hand, If I try to use the LOCAL HELP files (by using the Help Library Administrator, which ubicates the library in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\HelpLibrary) the "ACCEPT" BUTTON in not habilitated in the Help Library Administrator dialog box

HOW CAN I CONSULT THOSE HELP FILES? I have several questions regarding Visual C++ and I cannot access those HELP FILES (neither in my computer nor in the Internet).

IS THE LIBRARY UBICATION IN MY COMPUTER CORRECT (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\HelpLibrary) AND IF SO, WHY I'M NOT ABLE TO OPEN THOSE FILES?

WHY IS THE "ACCEPT" BUTTON NOT HABILITATED IN THE Help Library Administrator Dialog Box?

IS THE VISUAL C++ 2010 EXPRESS EDITION OFFERED WITHOUT HELP FILES (in order to check them on user computers)?

I would appreciate it if you could give me some comments about this issue. Thank you in advance. Regards,

Friday, December 14, 2012 6:21 PM

Answers

• I dont remember, but somewhere in the Help menu there should be an option for which help files you use.  Go through them till you find the right dialoge for it.  Sorry, I dont have VS on this computer, and I am going off memory.

Once you do find it, select the option for "use offline help first and ... online help second" or simliar option.  Maybe this also corrects download error, or maybe you need admin rights?

I did it with little to no problems, but again this was a while back on different computer.  Hopefully someone else can respond with a more precise answer.

Good luck.

David

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:15 AM

All replies

• What help files? "F1" ones?

Reply, then visible.

Monday, December 17, 2012 10:35 AM
  • I dont remember, but somewhere in the Help menu there should be an option for which help files you use.  Go through them till you find the right dialoge for it.  Sorry, I dont have VS on this computer, and I am going off memory.

Once you do find it, select the option for "use offline help first and ... online help second" or simliar option.  Maybe this also corrects download error, or maybe you need admin rights?

I did it with little to no problems, but again this was a while back on different computer.  Hopefully someone else can respond with a more precise answer.

Good luck.

David

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:15 AM
  • Hi,

I have marked david's reply as answer.
    If you disagree, please unmark it, and post your doubt.

Regards,

Elegentin Xie
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 9:49 AM