Visual Studio 2012 is so ugly, I actually cried.

Question

• I was so disappointed once I installed and ran Visual Studio 2012, I actually got watery eyes.  Not for me, but for Microsoft!  Is this the beginning of the end of Microsoft?  It’s not that clues have not been apparent since Vista.  But, should we start looking at C++ Builder, Open Source IDEs, or what?  After being loyal to Microsoft for so long, one would think they could at least give us a warning and provide possible alternative companies to migrate too.  Is what we see in VS2012 the new norm?

Monday, August 20, 2012 7:38 PM

All replies

• I couldn't agree more about the poor UI.

There is no alternative but hopefully this will change at some point. Not so that I can swap products but more to focus Microsoft on upping its game. Look at what Apple did with the tablet after Microsoft failed (and I don't have an iPad), It was apparent to anyone using Vista before release that it was a dogs dinner and here we are again with Windows 8 and VS2012. Where is the technical leadership steering this great company? 

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:18 PM
  • Well, people with bad taste sometimes make their way to the top and have the political clout to make design decisions. VS 2012 is one of those cases where the person in charge of the look and feel should never have been in such a position. It's like playing a game on XBOX 360 (VS 2010), then playing Oregon Trail on an old apple (VS 2012). It is horrendous.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:51 PM
  • Yeah it really is pretty bad and very difficult to work with. We're sticking with VS2010 and Win7 for as long as possible, except for purposes of developing for Win8 and WP8. Check out these links and comment:

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/2623017-add-some-color-to-visual-studio-2012

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/08/22/visual-studio-2012-released-to-the-web.aspx

Also do a search for 'VS2012 ugly' for more fun.

• Proposed as answer by abatishchev Monday, August 27, 2012 1:08 PM
    Friday, August 24, 2012 5:20 PM