Adding Tasks to a newly created project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I was wondering if someone could help. I have set-up a new project in PWA and assigned a team to the project, there are no tasks at this stage that are assigned to anyone.

When a team member logs onto PWA they are unable to create a new task under the my tasks section, the option for creating a new task is greyed out, however, when the user is assigned a task my the PM through project centre, the user is then able to create a new task.. is there anyway for this option to be available before a task is assigned to said user? 

Regards,
    Andy 

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 7:57 AM

Answers

• Andy:

Not puzzling at all. This is exactly how the system is designed to work. Resources do not get permission to create tasks until they have at least one assignment in the project just as they cannot contribute to the Project Site until they have at least one published assignment in the project. Until then, these items are read only.

• Marked as answer by Gary Chefetz Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:53 AM
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Andy,

Did you publish the project? I have tested it, if you create a project in PWA, build a team and save the team and than publish the project you can add tasks in My Task option.

Try to publish the project and than add tasks in My Task.

Please let me know if it was helpfull.

Thanks,

_________________________________________________________ Fahad Khan
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:56 AM
  • Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I did publish the project after building and saving the team, essentially i have a blank project plan. Then when a resource logs in to PWA , clicks my tasks and then tries to insert a new task the Insert new task is greyed out. The resource has only been assigned team member rights, if that makes any difference?

Thanks,

Andy

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 10:06 AM
  • Hi Andy,

A Team Member can not enter the tasks in a project. You have to give them access on that. You can do it either from resource center or by Project Permissions

Thanks,

_________________________________________________________ Fahad Khan
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 10:09 AM
  • Hi Again,

Thanks for your reply. I have given the appropriate rights. The user is able to assign new tasks to the project once the PM or someone with relevant permission has assigned them one.. which is the puzzling thing.

Andy

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 10:11 AM
  • Andy:

Not puzzling at all. This is exactly how the system is designed to work. Resources do not get permission to create tasks until they have at least one assignment in the project just as they cannot contribute to the Project Site until they have at least one published assignment in the project. Until then, these items are read only.

• Marked as answer by Gary Chefetz Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:53 AM
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:53 AM
  • Thanks for this, i'm still confused as to what the point of the project site is?
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:59 AM
  • The Project Site is a separate SharePoint site for intramural collaboration for the team including documents and other SharePoint features that the team wants to use. It also houses three very important custom web parts: Risks, Issues, and Deliverables. These custom SharePoint lists allow you to manage each of these item types and link them to tasks, doucments and each other.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:10 PM
  • I have the same problem as Andy, I createsd the New PWA yesterday created my test account that has admin rights with the taks permissions and when I click Tasks, Create task and add yourself to a task are both greyed out. The account had administrator rights also.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 4:47 PM