How to launch the metro app that not associated with a protocol. RRS feed

• Question

• I want to launch a metro app, but the metro app is not associate to any protocol.

I edit registry to make a protocol associated, then I try to call LaunchDefaultProgram(Uri) to launch the metro app,

but only the splash is shown.

I want to known How to launch the metro app?

Thanks.

Monday, January 30, 2012 2:28 AM

Answers

• You have to have an installed application which registers itself as a handler for that kind of URI.  This is done when you set the declarations in the manifest for that application.

If you see the splash screen for your app but it then goes away, it sounds like it's crashing, which is a different problem.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    Monday, January 30, 2012 5:24 PM

All replies

• You have to have an installed application which registers itself as a handler for that kind of URI.  This is done when you set the declarations in the manifest for that application.

If you see the splash screen for your app but it then goes away, it sounds like it's crashing, which is a different problem.

Monday, January 30, 2012 5:24 PM
  • Thank you for your replay.

That is I can not launch an app if the app did not register itself as a handler for a kind of URI.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:59 AM
  • That's correct.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Is there a way to determine if any app is installed to handle a given URI? 

So say I want to make some sort of menu item for launching a default app for a URL.  I need to know whether to enable or disable that menu item based on if there is a default app to handle it.

actiprosoftware.com - Professional WPF, Silverlight, and WinForms UI controls and components
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:12 PM
  • No, there's no way to check and if there were the check could be immediately outdated. If there isn't a default program already set up the user (or if there is a new handler available) the user will be prompted to select the default either from the already registered programs, from the web, or from elsewhere on the system.

--Rob

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:25 PM