none
Question re: ActiveSync "Sync" command and status 3 error... RRS feed

• Question

• Here's what I'm doing:

1) Send a Sync command for Inbox with syncKey = 0 (first sync)
    2) Receive syncKey = 1 (as expected)
    3) Send Sync command with syncKey = 1
    4) Receive new syncKey = 2 (as expected) and start processing Emails.

Now, I interrupt my executing code at this point - i.e. before I finish with the first window of Emails (say, simulating a connection error).   When I try to sync next, I basically go back to #2, sending syncKey = 1 (which is the last one I've gotten successfully, i.e. I never finished receiving the result from the first window full of data).    The result is a status of 3, which indicates that I have to throw away any data I've received and start over with step 1.

Is this correct?   If so, it would seem that a connection error after having received thousands of messages would cause me to have to get them all over again.   Or am I missing something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-BHAssoc
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:36 AM

Answers

• Hello BHAssoc,

Support for Exchange Server Protocols fall under the
    Interoperability Principles.  Interoperability Principles covers client protocols to interoperate with Exchange Server 2007 and greater.   The version of Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) that are supported by this forum are 12.1 and greater.

If you require additional support for earlier versions of EAS, such as 2.5 that ships with Exchange 2003, this is handled as a paid service engagement with Microsoft Partner Advantage Services (MSPA).

Regards,
    Mark Miller
    Escalation Engineer

US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Monday, July 20, 2009 2:51 PM

All replies

• BHAssoc,

Thanks for your question.  One of out team member will work on your question and get back to you soon.

Thanks!
    Hongwei Sun -MSFT
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 2:16 PM
  • Thanks; what sort of timeframe should I expect (it's been about a week now)?

-BHA
    Monday, July 6, 2009 4:15 PM
  • BHAssoc,

I've taken ownership of your case and will try to get you a response in the next couple of days.  Thanks for your patience!

Regards, Tom Jebo Senior Support Escalation Engineer Microsoft DS Protocol Team
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 2:36 PM
  • Great, thanks!

BHA
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 3:52 PM
  • Hello BHAssoc,

You should be able to use SyncKey = current, or SyncKey = current – 1, but you can't use SyncKey = current - 2.

Consider this pattern:

1) Sync Inbox - SyncKey = 0 - Returns Synckey of 1 and no items.

2) Sync Inbox - SyncKey = 1 - Returns Synckey of 2 and n number of items.

3) Sync Inbox - SyncKey = 1 - Returns Synckey of 2 and n number of items.

If you are encountering something different that what is described above please send sync logs and I will investigate further.

Regards,
    Mark Miller
    Escalation Engineer

US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Monday, July 13, 2009 8:28 PM
  • Hi, Mark.

I don't think this is what I'm seeing, at least with EAS 2.5.   Could you tell me what kind of logs you'd like, so I can ask my server admin to get them for you?

Thanks!

Marc
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:25 AM
  • Hello BHAssoc,

Support for Exchange Server Protocols fall under the
    Interoperability Principles.  Interoperability Principles covers client protocols to interoperate with Exchange Server 2007 and greater.   The version of Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) that are supported by this forum are 12.1 and greater.

If you require additional support for earlier versions of EAS, such as 2.5 that ships with Exchange 2003, this is handled as a paid service engagement with Microsoft Partner Advantage Services (MSPA).

Regards,
    Mark Miller
    Escalation Engineer

US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Monday, July 20, 2009 2:51 PM