How do I retrieve the information about active tile being displayed when the app's live tile was clicked? RRS feed

• Question

• Here is my use case... A live tile notification from an app (say a news  app) catches a user's attention and drives him to click on the app tile on the start screen. The intent of the user is to watch the new section. Instead the app loads normally and displays the landing screen. Now the user has to end up searching for that particular content in the app and consume it.

My question here is how can we programmatically identify what live tile was being displayed when the user clicked the app. Having access to this information would help me take the user right to the related content that was being displayed on the live tile.

Wednesday, January 1, 2014 12:27 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can create a secondary title in your app. A secondary tile allows a user to launch to a specific location in an app directly from the Start screen. when an app is launched, The LaunchActivatedEventArgs parameter in the OnLaunched method will contain the previous state of the app and the activation arguments. If the app is launched by its primary tile, the TileId property of the LaunchActivatedEventArgs parameter will have the same value as the application Id in the package manifest. If the app is launched by a secondary tile, the TileId property will have an ID that was specified when the secondary tile was created. You can see the "Launching the app from a secondary tile" in the link below to get more information:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/xx130661.aspx

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by Anne Jing Friday, January 10, 2014 7:27 AM
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 7:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you want to navigate to a special page when you click an app title? You cannot
    implement this in windows store app.

When you click the live title, an app launched and display its home screen. So, tile updates
    should concern elements of the app that are easily accessible from that home screen. For example, a news app's tile should only show articles that the user can easily find on the app's home page once they click on the tile.

See Guidelines for tiles and badges

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by Anne Jing Wednesday, January 1, 2014 3:01 AM edit
    Wednesday, January 1, 2014 3:00 AM
  • I need not load a special page when the app "title" is clicked but I am looking to see if we can use any of the Notifications API to be able to get access to the TileNotification object that was being displayed on the live tile, at the time the user clicked on the tile, to launch the app. I would query that when the app is launched and take them directly to the related content page, with a direct back button to the home screen. 

My school of thought is that if we are using the live tile update to draw the user in to launch the app, we should not have to make the user go and search for that content but rather provide access to the related content directly and if the user's intent was to just launch the app for some other business, he can simply press the back button which is more easier than searching for content displayed on the live tile notification.

Wednesday, January 1, 2014 7:03 AM
  • Hi,

You can create a secondary title in your app. A secondary tile allows a user to launch to a specific location in an app directly from the Start screen. when an app is launched, The LaunchActivatedEventArgs parameter in the OnLaunched method will contain the previous state of the app and the activation arguments. If the app is launched by its primary tile, the TileId property of the LaunchActivatedEventArgs parameter will have the same value as the application Id in the package manifest. If the app is launched by a secondary tile, the TileId property will have an ID that was specified when the secondary tile was created. You can see the "Launching the app from a secondary tile" in the link below to get more information:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/xx130661.aspx

Best Wishes!

• Marked as answer by Anne Jing Friday, January 10, 2014 7:27 AM
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 7:38 AM