Network sniffer RRS feed

• Question

•  

I use raw socket for network sniffer. It work well on XP but it don't capture outbound packet on vista.

Why it don't capture outbound packet? I want to capture inbound and outbound packets.it is possibble capture packet use raw socket on vista?

Thursday, October 18, 2007 8:18 AM

Answers

•  

There are a couple technologies in Vista that allow you to capture outbound packets. WFP would be the preferred one if you don't need to get access to layer 2 (e.g. 802.3) information; otherwise Ndis LightWeight Filters (LWF) would be a good choice.

For WFP, the layers where you can capture a complete outbound IP packet is FWPS_LAYER_OUTBOUND_IPPACKET_V{4|6}. You would need to develop a kernel mode WFP callout driver that registers at this layer.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms796374.aspx is a good place to start with WFP callout drivers.

Hope this helps,

Biao.W.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 11:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I don't think WFP is causing this behavior change.

I think microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing is probably the best place to post this questions to.

Thanks,

Biao.W.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 9:21 PM
  • Hi,

Thank for your post.

I  don't capture outbound packet on vista. I want to learning it is possible with WFP.

I am not a advenced network programer. I read some paper at msdn. it is say some API is not support on vista and WFP must be use on vista.. I wrong please alert me?

My program capture UDP outbound. only don't capture tcp outbound packet.

Thanks,

Thursday, October 18, 2007 9:42 PM
  •  

There are a couple technologies in Vista that allow you to capture outbound packets. WFP would be the preferred one if you don't need to get access to layer 2 (e.g. 802.3) information; otherwise Ndis LightWeight Filters (LWF) would be a good choice.

For WFP, the layers where you can capture a complete outbound IP packet is FWPS_LAYER_OUTBOUND_IPPACKET_V{4|6}. You would need to develop a kernel mode WFP callout driver that registers at this layer.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms796374.aspx is a good place to start with WFP callout drivers.

Hope this helps,

Biao.W.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 11:32 PM