VSTO 4.0 Addins issue - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VSTO\SolutionMetadata RRS feed

• Question

• Recently, I came across this issue where few of the machines started facing the issue after uninstalling VSTO 3.0 solutions and installing the upgraded VSTO 4.0 solutions. Addins were not loading. 

Thanks to many of the forums, I got the issue and removed HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VSTO\SolutionMetadata and re-installed the new addins. 

To add to the puzzle, I have a requirment where, I need to be able to support both the versions available on the same machine. Can anyone please explain that what is  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VSTO\SolutionMetadata entry is used for? 

After installing the upgraded version, I have also noticed that earlier entries dint give any specific names but after the upgrade the new entries were specifically given the addin names. 

I also read it as an VSTO bug but I want to understand the real issue and nature of this bug. 

Thanks & Regards,

Mukta

M Sharma, Deloitte, USA

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:43 PM

Answers

• This has been proved out to be a VSTO bug and has been addressed in SP1. 

To check if it lies on your machine, check the registry key -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5

If the version entry is anything less than 3.5.30729.5420, means the issue persist on your machine and the upgrade needs to implement.

Hope it helps !

M Sharma, Deloitte, USA

• Marked as answer by M Sharma Friday, April 6, 2012 8:57 PM
    Friday, April 6, 2012 8:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Mukta,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

It's based on my understanding the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VSTO\SolutionMetadata] entry stores the vsto flie's path of the machine.

Would you please explain the sentence "After intalling the upgraded version, I have also noticed that earlier entries dint give any specific names but after the upgrade the new entries ware specifically given that addin names." I can't understand where and which value you take care of.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, February 23, 2012 5:31 AM
  • This has been proved out to be a VSTO bug and has been addressed in SP1. 

To check if it lies on your machine, check the registry key -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5

If the version entry is anything less than 3.5.30729.5420, means the issue persist on your machine and the upgrade needs to implement.

Hope it helps !

M Sharma, Deloitte, USA

• Marked as answer by M Sharma Friday, April 6, 2012 8:57 PM
    Friday, April 6, 2012 8:57 PM