none
.NET 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I just got a new computer and when I start my computer a message pops out asking me to install .NET 2.0, I click on the link but I am concerned to install it because I have Windows 7 and I have .NET 4.0. The documentation for .NET 2.0 does not refer that it is compatible with Windows 7. What should I do? I have no idea what program is requiring .Net 2.0...I mean I don't know how to check. All the programs I am using are runing fine.
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:10 PM

Answers

• Celsousa,

You will be fine installing .NET 2.0.  It uses a totally different CLR than .NET 4.0 so the two frameworks don't affect each other at all.  They use a totally different code base.

It's necessary to install .NET 2.0 on your computer if you have a program saying it needs .NET 2.0, because any program that was written for .NET 2.0 must have the .NET framework installed on the client computer.  When .NET 4.0 is installed, it doesn't include .NET 2.0 so you have to install it separately.  

What I'm guessing is, you have a video card or some other hardware device that has some service or companion software that was written in .NET 2.0 and that's why it's asking you to install .NET 2.0.

Tom Overton
    • Edited by Tom_Overton Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Celsousa Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:30 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Celsousa Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Celsousa Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:32 PM
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:13 PM
  • Celsousa,

Is there nothing in the title bar that says which program is requiring .NET 2.0?  I'm surprised you would get that message though, since Windows 7 should already have the 2.0 CLR installed.  

Is it when you boot up the computer?  If so, run "msconfig" from the start menu and it should have a "Startup" tab that will show which programs are loading at startup and check and see if it's one of those.  Maybe disable one or more and see if the popup goes away.  

Is this a brand new computer from one of the major brands? (dell, gateway, etc).  If so the default windows 7 install image should have all the necessary settings and depend frameworks to run the computer right out of the box.  have you installed a new hardware device on it or new software recently?

Tom Overton
    • Edited by Tom_Overton Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Celsousa Saturday, October 22, 2011 8:07 PM
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:40 PM

All replies

• Celsousa,

You will be fine installing .NET 2.0.  It uses a totally different CLR than .NET 4.0 so the two frameworks don't affect each other at all.  They use a totally different code base.

It's necessary to install .NET 2.0 on your computer if you have a program saying it needs .NET 2.0, because any program that was written for .NET 2.0 must have the .NET framework installed on the client computer.  When .NET 4.0 is installed, it doesn't include .NET 2.0 so you have to install it separately.  

What I'm guessing is, you have a video card or some other hardware device that has some service or companion software that was written in .NET 2.0 and that's why it's asking you to install .NET 2.0.

Tom Overton
    • Edited by Tom_Overton Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Celsousa Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:30 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Celsousa Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Celsousa Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:32 PM
  • You should identify the program that's popping out this message and understand if it could be a malicious software or a program that is having some problems in running because of a .NET Framework problem; then you can decide what to do.

Anyway, Windows 7 comes with the .NET Framework 3.5.1, so you shouldn't have any problem running your applications based on previous .NET Framework versions.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award

• Thank you Luigi,

Can you help on how can I determine if the application that it is requiring .NET 2.0 is ligit?

Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:34 PM
  • Thanks a million Tom
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:34 PM
  • Celsousa,

Is there nothing in the title bar that says which program is requiring .NET 2.0?  I'm surprised you would get that message though, since Windows 7 should already have the 2.0 CLR installed.  

Is it when you boot up the computer?  If so, run "msconfig" from the start menu and it should have a "Startup" tab that will show which programs are loading at startup and check and see if it's one of those.  Maybe disable one or more and see if the popup goes away.  

Is this a brand new computer from one of the major brands? (dell, gateway, etc).  If so the default windows 7 install image should have all the necessary settings and depend frameworks to run the computer right out of the box.  have you installed a new hardware device on it or new software recently?

Tom Overton
    • Edited by Tom_Overton Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Celsousa Saturday, October 22, 2011 8:07 PM
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:40 PM
  • Thank you Luigi,

Can you help on how can I determine if the application that it is requiring .NET 2.0 is ligit?

You can download and run Process Monitor from the following address

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

and perform a real time monitoring of the system activity to understand more about the program you're investigating.
    If the program starts at the system startup, download and run Autoruns from the following address

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

to understand where does this program start from and decide what do to.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:49 PM
  • Thank you Tom.

Yes, it only shows at start up. I looked in msconfig and all application look ligit. I have a Dell Inspiron. I added the drivers for the wireless keyboard and mouse. Since you said that .Net 2.0 is compatible with Windows 7 I think it is safe to install it. I was not confortable in install it until I was sure that there were not compability issues. I thought .NET 4.0 would be used by all applications that needed .NET. Thank you again. Great Help.

Saturday, October 22, 2011 8:07 PM
  • Since .NET 2.0 should already be on a  Windows 7 machine, you might want to spend a little more time figuring out which program is causing the popup.  Also, there are some tools that can tell whether you have a valid copy of .NET 2.0 installed so you will know whether or not you want to try to repair it or try to reinstall it (you would want to reinstall .NET 3.5 in that case since it includes .NET 2.0).

here is a validation tool that will tell you for sure if .NET 2.0 is installed correctly:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

If it's a new Dell, it really should have all the up to date frameworks and service packs on it already.  So I suspect it's some of the driver software for your mouse or keyboard.  Often times the companion software that comes with some hardware is very out of date and isn't tested to work well on new OS's.  

Tom Overton
    • Edited by Tom_Overton Saturday, October 22, 2011 8:17 PM
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 8:14 PM