none
High Variance Of Depth Data from Kinect to Kinect (multiple Senses) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm working on a project of measuring objects with the Kinect sens (brief said).

This solution requires the use of - at least - 2 kinect senses. Now the Problem i discovered is, that not all of these senses return the same depth data under equal conditions. That means: i placed each sens exactly opposite to the other one with the same distance to a center defiened point (and of course the same vertical angle). while the - lets call it - front sens returns more or less accurate distances (within the well known variation) the back sens drifts about 5- 7 cm apart. by replacing the 'invalid' backsens with another, it seems, that both are nearly matching. not even calibration could be done with the replaced sens;

so, now my question is:

are there some known, production related issues to the accuarcy of the data returned by the sens? are there known variances from sens to sens? a 'high level' variance from sens to sens could be very threatening, brecause of the fact, that you'll never gonna know, how accurate a sens returns the depth, or in other words - can i use a sens for my application or not.

thx for answering

peter

Monday, June 4, 2012 11:32 AM

All replies

• Ok - so, maybe this was an odd question...;

i'll give it another, slightly different try:

i've discovered so far, that the xbox kinect depth map is much more relieable than the k4win's.

has someone discovered a comparable behavior?

if yes, what is the solution (ok, using xbox kinect only, but there's no near mode...)

thx again 

peter

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 7:07 AM
  • Hi Peter,

I'm not entirely sure I understand the scenario.  It sounds like you are placing 2 Kinect sensors "pointing" at each other.  Because of how the Kinect works, pointing multiple Kinects at the same location or pointing Kinects at each other may result in less than optimal results.  Ideally, you don't want the target areas to overlap.  If they must, you want to minimize the overlapping.

Thanks,

Jon

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:08 AM