none
Visual Studio Smart Device application deploys but does not run. The parameter is incorrect. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using Visual Studio 2008 to deploy a smart device application to a WinCE board running Compact 7.

It used to work.. Now when I create an empty c# smart device application It gives me an error..

e.g

------ Deploy started: Project: SmartDeviceProject1, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
    Deploying 'C:\Users\blue\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\SmartDeviceProject1\SmartDeviceProject1\bin\Debug\SmartDeviceProject1.exe'
    Deploying 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\CompactFramework\v3.5\windowsce\diagnostics\NETCFv35.Messages.EN.cab'
    The parameter is incorrect.
    ========== Deploy: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

So I cannot run and debug the application.

When I look on the device I see the application was installed and it runs when I open it.

How can I determine what the problem is when the error message is so vague ?

I am an MSDN subscriber.

• Edited by ttBlue Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:31 AM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:23 AM

Answers

• I hope that you will solve with a simple rebuild of the OS image.

I resolved the issue rebuilding OS image but adding the ".Net CF String Resources" catalog item due to a VS2008 problem.

Paolo.

Paolo Patierno

• Marked as answer by ttBlue Friday, January 3, 2014 1:24 PM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 1:13 PM

All replies

• Have you tried to add ".NET CF 3.5 String Resources" catalog item into OS image ?

Paolo.

Paolo Patierno

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 11:55 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  But with the same device it was working a few weeks ago.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:05 PM
  • I understand...Have you update VS2008 or part regarding .Net CF ?

Can you try it ?

Paolo Patierno

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:14 PM
  • Yes I have installed the VS2008 SP1 plus a few other hot fixes..

Also have update to date Windows Embbeded Compact 7.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:24 PM
  • Can you try to add .Net CF String Resources catalog item ?

I had the same problemi and solved in this way.

Paolo Patierno

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:35 PM
  • I guess I will have to try building the os image.

It is strange that I did not change the os image since I received it from the manufacturer so it makes me think there is an issue with my VS2008.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 12:37 PM
  • I hope that you will solve with a simple rebuild of the OS image.

I resolved the issue rebuilding OS image but adding the ".Net CF String Resources" catalog item due to a VS2008 problem.

Paolo.

Paolo Patierno

• Marked as answer by ttBlue Friday, January 3, 2014 1:24 PM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 1:13 PM
  • I had this problem with a new project, but it didn't happen with existing projects.

The difference turned out to be that the new project had 'Deploy the latest version of the .NET Compact Framework' checked in the Project Properties, Devices tab.

If you try to manually install NETCFv35.Messages.EN.cab on the device, it tells you 'The program is not compatible with the latest version of the .NET Compact Framework', although my WEC7 device has .NET 3.5 installed.
    I believe that this problem is causing the error after deploying the file from VS2008.

If you can't change the OS image, either uncheck 'Deploy the latest version of the .NET Compact Framework' (then NETCFv35.Messages.EN.cab won't be deployed) or manually install NETCFv35.Messages.EN.cab first, and tell it to install anyway even though it is incompatible.

Monday, May 6, 2019 10:46 AM