none
Is the "Device Class Definition for Physical Interface Devices" specification implemented in Windows? RRS feed

• Question

• Can I assume that Windows will be able to handle my physical interface device if I follow the "Device Class Definition for Physical Interface Devices" specification while writing the firmware?

I'm trying to develop a device which handles rumble output from applications such as games. Applications would include e.g. racing games or simulators. I'm hesitant to just clone Xbox 360 Gamepad or Sidewinder USB reports. I'd like to correctly declare my device as something on its own while still making use of already implemented OS-specific drivers. The purpose of the mentioned specification is exactly that as far as I can tell. I wasn't able to find concrete information about its level of support though. The "USB device class drivers included in Windows" page (sorry I'm not allowed to post links yet..) seems to link to WinUSB which I'm not sure what to do with.

• Edited by Ray.Za Tuesday, January 13, 2015 5:02 PM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2015 3:25 PM

Answers

• I think the last OS which actively invested in PID was XP. All support after that is based on whatever was in XP. My memory is hazy, but IIRC these were changes in the HID USB miniport to support the PID class spec, that's it. Everything else is in the game

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 9:59 PM

All replies

• I think the last OS which actively invested in PID was XP. All support after that is based on whatever was in XP. My memory is hazy, but IIRC these were changes in the HID USB miniport to support the PID class spec, that's it. Everything else is in the game

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 9:59 PM
  • Thanks for your response. Well if everything was implemented at that time and it's still available it should be fine since the specification document's last version is dated 1999. I was just hoping there would be any form of documentation whether it's supported and by which degree so I don't go through the trouble of figuring out how the firmware should be written according to the specification just to find out there is no OS driver implementation for it which would render my work more or less useless.
    So I suppose I'm forced to go the trial and error path?
    • Edited by Ray.Za Tuesday, January 13, 2015 10:22 PM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2015 10:20 PM
  • unless someone who has done this is willing to share, I don't think you will find anyone who understands the PID part of the HID stack in any depth.

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 6:49 AM
  • So, how's it going with your project, bro? I'm doing the same thing and it seems that the PID device doesn't work under windows 10, you can checkout my project on https://github.com/beantowel/FFBMK1 and beantowel/HID_Descriptor_tool, that's really a sad news. All my works went nonsense.
    Saturday, March 25, 2017 9:08 AM