none
Cannot see anything but the project name in Project box RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,  I'm trying to pick up someone else's development (he passed away)

On two of his projects, I could see the code and make corrections, but on this one I cannot see anything but the project name in Project box. I've tried all the suggestions I found through Googling, but to no avail.

I am able to add a module, and save it so it is not an ACCDE file.

I believe he put the code into dll's ?? but I cannot even see those.

I clicked on the Access button (underneath File) and got back to the display

I can list the forms, reports and macros, but I am unable to access any code in them/behind them

Please help

Many thanks

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 12:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you able to share a copy for us to take a look?

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 2:39 PM
  • You have to give more information.

As a “general” rule, you have to hold down the shift key during application start-up. This prevents all of the start-up code running – often that code “hides” everything from users.

So as a developer, you need to enter the application in “developer” mode, not how users will run + use the application.

>> I believe he put the code into dll's ?? but I cannot even see those.

Access does not have that ability. It is assumed that you can right click on any form in the navigation pane, and choose design. I assume that you can flip forms etc. into design mode? What about opening code modules from the nav pane?

It is perhaps possible that the forms are “macro” only? Can you select a button on a form (in design mode), and on the event tab see “events” for say the click event?

Something is not right here, but first question is can you flip forms into design mode? Or perhaps you can ONLY use layout mode?

If you can ONLY choose layout mode, then it is possible that this is a 2010 web based application. These web based applications can run 100% as desktop only, but forms can ONLY use layout mode (no design mode), and you can ONLY use macro code for buttons and events on a form.

You also notice that the “ribbon” is quite different for web based – you see “web globes” on most of the ribbon options.

So try the shift key, and also make a note if you can (or cannot) flip forms into design mode, or are you limited to layout mode only. If you only have layout mode, then this is a web based application being run as a desktop only application.

Or in fact it is a published web application – it will still have all of the above effects.

For web based, you can add VBA modules, but the ribbon will look like this:

Note the “globes” on the ribbon.

The above will not have VBA code and all forms/reports are limited to ONLY layout mode, and you can ONLY use macro for code on forms – no VBA allowed. However, you can add VBA forms and can add VBA code modules to the above.

For a regular database (non web), you see this for the ribbon.

Note how there are no “web globes” on the ribbon.

Regards,

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP, 2003-2017)

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 6:37 PM
  • Hello pittersalso,

You said you are able to add a module, so where is the module added? I would suggest you share some screenshots to show us what's the current issue you got.

For sharing the document, I would suggest you share them via cloud storage, such as One Drive, and then put link address here. Thanks for understanding,

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 3:19 AM