Windows Media Format SDK v Directshow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I want to create an audio player application on WM5 and WM6. But i am confussed between Windows Media Format SDK and Directshow, Which is better to use for a beginner developer.

Could anyone tell me which is better way?

Thanks,

Thursday, December 13, 2007 12:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Prashant_611,

Please look at the following document,this document provides answers to frequently asked questions about the Microsoft DirectShow and Microsoft Windows Media software development kits (SDKs).

What are the key tradeoffs in selecting Windows Media component SDKs or DirectShow for application development?

• DirectShow supports manipulation of many formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MP3 audio, WAV, AVI) in addition to Windows Media, whereas Windows Media (WM) SDKs persist all content as Windows Media.
    • DirectShow provides generic sourcing and rendering support, whereas the Windows Media Encoder SDK and Windows Media Player SDK ActiveX control are tailored capture and playback solutions. It is often easier to deploy the encoder and player APIs than to learn the DirectShow APIs.
    • Network streaming is best done using Windows Media SDKs. Windows Media gives the highest quality for a given bandwidth, and the Windows Media Format SDK exposes more powerful APIs than DirectShow for controlling streaming. Windows Media Encoder SDK plus the Player ActiveX control (and optionally Windows Media Services) provide turnkey solutions, versus custom solutions using DirectShow.

For more information:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms867154.aspx

Best regards,

Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Monday, December 17, 2007 6:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Prashant_611,

Please look at the following document,this document provides answers to frequently asked questions about the Microsoft DirectShow and Microsoft Windows Media software development kits (SDKs).

What are the key tradeoffs in selecting Windows Media component SDKs or DirectShow for application development?

• DirectShow supports manipulation of many formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MP3 audio, WAV, AVI) in addition to Windows Media, whereas Windows Media (WM) SDKs persist all content as Windows Media.
    • DirectShow provides generic sourcing and rendering support, whereas the Windows Media Encoder SDK and Windows Media Player SDK ActiveX control are tailored capture and playback solutions. It is often easier to deploy the encoder and player APIs than to learn the DirectShow APIs.
    • Network streaming is best done using Windows Media SDKs. Windows Media gives the highest quality for a given bandwidth, and the Windows Media Format SDK exposes more powerful APIs than DirectShow for controlling streaming. Windows Media Encoder SDK plus the Player ActiveX control (and optionally Windows Media Services) provide turnkey solutions, versus custom solutions using DirectShow.

For more information:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms867154.aspx

Best regards,

Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Monday, December 17, 2007 6:05 AM
  • Thanks for reply,

But i am not getting where i will get Windows media format SDK (for WM 5.0) to download .

and could you please suggest any link or sample code to create simple applications like play wav file etc.  for WM 5.0

Thanks,
    Monday, December 17, 2007 10:11 AM
  • Hi Prashant_611,

Please look at the following link:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Search/search.aspx?words=play+wav&searchKey=&lcid=1033&searchscope=forumgroupscope&siteid=1&ForumID=-1&ForumGroupID=11

There are a lot of samples and many of them have sdk document.

Best regards,

Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:42 AM