none
Error restoring bower packages in VS 2015 Community Edition RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am using VS2015 Community Edition with Update 2, been trying out ASP.net Core projects recently.

Over the past 2 days I am getting the following error when i try to restore bower packages.

PATH=.\node_modules\.bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\Web Tools\External;%PATH%;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\Web Tools\External\git
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\Web Tools\External\Bower.cmd" install jquery#2.1.4 --production --force-latest --save
    bower jquery#2.1.4          not-cached https://github.com/jquery/jquery-dist.git#2.1.4
    bower jquery#2.1.4             resolve https://github.com/jquery/jquery-dist.git#2.1.4
    bower jquery#2.1.4            checkout 2.1.4
    bower jquery#2.1.4             ECMDERR Failed to execute "git clone https://github.com/jquery/jquery-dist.git -b 2.1.4 --progress . --depth 1", exit code of #-532462766

Anyway I can resolve this?

I am not behind a proxy, connected directly to the internet, and Windows Firewall is turned off

Thursday, April 14, 2016 11:27 AM

All replies

• Hi Tariq Ayad,

>> been trying out ASP.net Core projects recently.

Do you mean you create a ASP.NET 5 template? I create a sample ASP.NET 5 Web application and right-click the bower -> Restore Packages. Everything is ok.

Please try with following steps to troubleshoot this problem to check whether this problem related to other third packages or visual studio itself.

1. Run Visual Studio in safe mode to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.
    2. Close all third part software when running Visual Studio, such as antivirus software.
    3. Repair your Visual Studio through Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Visual Studio 2015 -> Change -> Repair.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, April 15, 2016 8:34 AM
  • Even if I click Restore Packages, the error persists.

I have no 3rd party add-ons for Visual  Studio.

It also doesnt make sense to repair Visual Studio because nothing in Visual Studio changed. This is functionality that was working 1 week back.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 10:23 AM
  • Hi Tariq,

I have verified this and it is not working in non corporate network (no firewall, no proxy, direct internet connection). This was working fine previously and now seems not working. This is confirmed with the comments made recently by Lucas and Brooks in connect feedback here. (Please vote here to get the attention to get it fixed)

As per the workaround stackoverflow link suggested in same feedback, the stable solution is to setup Git in your machine and change the VS to use the installed Git.exe instead of the Git shipped with VS. I think MSFT should consider fixing the embedded Git shipped with VS to make the experience of the developers seamless.

My post here explains the workaround solution step by step.

Cheers!

Chaminda

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 8:45 PM
  • Thanks for Chaminda's help.

Hi Tariq Ayad,

Please try the workaround that Chaminda provided. If Chaminda's workaround works, please mark the reply as answer, which is benefit to other communities who has the same problem.

If the workaround doesn't work for your situation, please add comments for the feedback in Visual Studio Connect. I think the report team experts will treat this issue seriously and will send an update email for this issue for us when it has any updates. Thanks for your feedback for Visual Studio Product.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:04 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

Chaminda's solution is only a workaround. The problem with the Visual Studio tooling still exists. When the tooling is fixed then we can close this question.

Tariq

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 5:06 AM
  • Hi Tariq Ayad,

I will follow up the progress of this feedback and if there has any information updated for this problem, I will update it on this thread.

If any other problems about Visual Studio IDE, please feel free to come back to our forum to create new threads.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 9:18 AM
  • I had the same issue when bower.json was incorrect. I didn't set all needed properties in bower.json 

Sunday, May 27, 2018 12:48 PM