Can NM from Win2003 setup be installed on XP? RRS feed

• Question

• Can MS Network Monitor from Windows 2003 Support Tools setup be installed on Windows XP SP3?
    If yes, then what are differences with Microsoft  Network Monitor 3.4 installable on Windows XP?

If No, then what does it make incompatible?

What are the differences in functionality between Microsoft  Network Monitor 3.4 installed on Windows XP from the same installed on Windows 2003?

Guennadi Vanine -- Gennady Vanin -- Геннадий Ванин
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 1:48 AM

All replies

• Both Network Monitor 3.4 and 2.x use the same capture driver on XP and Windows 2003.  The driver in this case belongs to the OS.  So from the capturing standpoint the functionality is very similar.  NM3.4 has some other capture options, like the command line NMCap, and is able to capture from multlipe adapters at the same time. 

From a parsing standpoint, Network Monitor 3.4 is much more complete and contains many new useful UI featues to help you understand the network traffic.  I would recommend Network Monitor 3.4 over 2.x for XP and Windows 2003.

Paul

Monday, June 28, 2010 1:38 PM
  • Hi, Paul,

thnks for your info but:
    "Can MS Network Monitor from Windows 2003 Support Tools setup be installed on Windows XP SP3?
    If yes, then what are differences with Microsoft  Network Monitor 3.4 installable on Windows XP?"

I am preparing for 70-291 exam from Windows XP SP3 and do not have Windows 2003 under my hand.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:26 AM
  • I believe the Windows 2003 Support Tools contains Netcap, which is simply a network capturing tool but no UI.  I'm pretty sure you would be able to install it on Windows XP SP3 and take captures.  Both Network Monitor 3.4 and netcap require that OS capture driver be installed, but for XP I'm pretty sure this is part of the default installations.

So the biggest difference between the netcap tool in the Support Tools and NM3.4 is that that NM3.4 has a UI which allows you to look at traces as well as take them.  Plus the protocol parsers are up to date and far supperior.  Plust you can get some support from this forum if you run into problems, where netcap and Netmon2.x are realy not supported anymore.

It might be helpful to understand the requirement for the Support Tools for the exam as it relates to protocol analysis.

Paul

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:01 PM
  • I believe the Windows 2003 Support Tools contains Netcap, which is simply a network capturing tool but no UI

Paul,

NETCAP.exe is installed by installing Windows XP Pro Support Tools (from XP setup CD) but not Network Monitor.
    Can I install NM (GUI for viewing results from netcap) from Windows 2003 Support Tools on Windows XP?

I marked your reply as Helpful but it is not an answer at straightforward and obvious question arising after you install NETCAP from Windows XP Support Tools but cannot find there a GUI for viewing captured results. 

Thursday, July 1, 2010 2:50 AM
  • The support tools only install Netcap so that admins can capture data and then send the trace to an expert to review the output.  But there is no tool in the Support Tools to view the trace.

You can install Network Monitor 3.4 for free on Windows XP SP3 to open these traces and view them.

Thursday, July 1, 2010 2:26 PM
  • Can MS Network Monitor from Windows 2003 Support Tools setup be installed on Windows XP SP3?

Friday, July 2, 2010 4:17 AM
  • I'm not aware that Network Monitor is part of the Windows 2003 Support Tools.  But as weren't invovled in that product I might be wrong.  Do you have information that says otherwise?

Paul

Friday, July 2, 2010 2:31 PM