DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer using any of the configured protocols RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    On a SBS 2008 SP2 the server reports several hundred times a day:

    Event Source DCOM
    Event ID 10009

    Event Details:
    DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer PC1.DOMAIN.local using any of the configured protocols.

    It's a Windows Embedded Standard 6.1 (7600). No errors were reported the first weeks, but suddenly this error pops up.

    No other computers generates this error.

    How to solve this?

    Regards Steffen
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:46 AM

All replies

  • There appears to be a number of possible solutions to the problem:






    Very simply, check to see if the computer is online.


    www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 4:01 PM
  • >>Very simply, check to see if the computer is online.


    I have the same problem.  And i don't need to check to see if the computer is online because it's not.  it doesn't even exist on the network.

    my question is how do I get COM to stop trying to communicate with it?


    Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:00 AM
  • one thread in a german board says: set the "SpanningTree" to "Fast Port" on the switch (he uses a gbit lan and dell switch).
    i have absolutly no idea if this will help.
    "Mark/Propose As Answer" if you got one.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:09 AM
  • I got exactly the same situation. That workstation was powered off for a long time. Why does DCOM keep communicating with it? How can I stop DCOM from trying? In one month, this error generated 15,000 error entries in the System Event Log. I've got to stop this.


    Sunday, July 8, 2012 6:38 PM
  • Did you ever receive a reply on this issue, or figure out how to get DCOM to stop yourself? I'm experiencing the same issue, and would like an answer.
    Friday, August 3, 2012 1:06 PM
  • I am experiencing the same issue. No resolution?
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 3:12 PM
  • Hi James.

    Sorry, no resolution.

    Regards Steffen

    Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:55 AM
  • this might help?! - seems to have detailed information

    Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany (Preparing a blog about Windows Embedded Standard)

    • Proposed as answer by pmckenna541 Friday, September 21, 2012 10:40 PM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:40 PM
  • I had the same issue on my SBS 2011 Standard server, and the exact same event log errors. My issue stemmed from Symantec Endpoint Protection going to two clients that were implemented after SEP Manager was initially installed. Instead of putting the SEP clients on the two workstations, they installed Norton Internet Security.

    My suspicion is the SEP Management was trying to manage those two workstations, but couldn't because the NIS is managed at the client level and not the server.

    I uninstalled NIS on one client and installed SEP with my last license, registered it as a managed SEP Client with my server. To date I have not had one error log referring to the newly created SEP Client. I still get the error from the other NIS client, but I disregard until we can justify getting more licensing.

    Hope this helps!


    Also, if it is a machine that is no longer connected, if you have not unregistered it from the SEP Manager, it will still think it is there.
    • Edited by Mark49829 Friday, January 10, 2014 6:21 PM
    Friday, January 10, 2014 6:18 PM