Backward Compatibilty in Windows 10 for Windows Store Apps developed for Windows 8.1 using C#/WinJS

General discussion

• Hi,

I have two apps developed for Windows 8.1 using C#/XAML and WinJS/HTML5 respectively.

Now i have installed Windows 10 Technical Preview on my machine, will my apps developed for Windows 8.1 will work on Windows 10 ? Also going forward whats the strategy for developing Metro/Store Apps for Windows 10 ?

Thanks

Hemant Bhatt

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 6:21 AM

All replies

• AFAIK, all Windows 8.1 apps will work on Windows 10.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 12:28 PM
  • While Microsoft hasn't said much about new Development Features in Windows 10 they said that if you wanted to prepare for it you should keep developing Universal Apps (which Windows 8.1 Apps qualify as). It's therefore save to assume that they will keep working.

However they also said that compatibility testing for Windows 10 has not finished yet, so during the Technical Preview you definitely can see issues with your Apps (there should be none closer to release).

In that regard it would not be a good idea to test your Apps for compatibility right now or move your development to the new platform.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 12:57 PM
  • Since you have installed Windows 10, why don't you just try out your apps and see if they work?

Windows 10 won't be released for around 12 months, and nobody will be able to definitively answer any questions like this, but so far it appears that Windows 10 is 100% backwards compatible with Store apps, and there is no reason to think that will change, but anything can happen in 12 months.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Friday, October 17, 2014 7:15 AM
  • Hi Hemant Bhatt,

Current Win10 is a Technical Preview version instead of a Developer Preview, some of the functions might not implemented, please continue work on Win8.1 instead of on Win10.

If you have some feedback, you could tell us via Windows Feedback tool which is an application included in Win10.

Thanks for your understanding.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 8:01 AM