Rehosted designers and "the patch" RRS feed

• Question

• There was a patch released not too long ago that sped up the workflow design experience - but it looks like may have been only for Visual Studio designing and not rehosted designing (post, another post).  Can anybody confirm if this was the case?  If so, any guestimations or thoughts if there will be a future patch to make the rehosted experience as snappy as VS? 

Thank you with fingers crossed,
    John 

Friday, September 23, 2011 6:29 PM

Answers

• Ron -

I went back to the basics and started with a fresh rehosted solution - the same one I used as the base for my project - it turns out the patch did indeed fix the slowness.  It looks like it is unique to my project - maybe I have too much going on in the screen (it is fancy - has lots of visual stuff - panels, windows, etc. to mimic the VS experience).  I will have to whittle it down to find out where the performance suck is.  Thank you for humoring me.

John

* Update.  Graphics card - or lack thereof in all but 1 of the machines I have been testing this in.  If anybody ever has any issues with performance in a rehosted make sure they have applied the patch and have a decent video card.  Found one that has 4.9 and it cut down the time to load.

** Update #2 (sorry for so many updates, but if helps the next guy it is worth it) - The video card helped, but the real silver bullet was either google desktop and windows search service.  I modified the index and unistalled, and the the rehosted designer flies now.

• Marked as answer by John Hennesey Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:18 PM
    • Edited by John Hennesey Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:47 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:18 PM

All replies

• *Bump* - Can anybody at MS share anything?  It would be much appreciated...  thanks.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:59 PM
  • Just took a look at the files in the patch.  I don't see any of the WF Designer assemblies in the list of updated files.  However there are WPF files in the update so perhaps the perf gain comes from some WPF fixes.
    Sr. Program Manager, AppFabric Development Platform (WF/WCF) http://blogs.msdn.com/rjacobs http://www.twitter.com/ronljacobs
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:55 PM
  • Ron - Thanks for the response.  Indeed it was a WPF patch that helped out the WF designer - but it appears to have helped it out only within VS.  The performance boost is dramatic - just what the doctor ordered to make the WF a lot more usable.  But if it applies only to VS that doesn't help the cause much :( .

Is it possible to find out if whatever was done [within WPF] for VS will one day be done so that the WF control within rehosters will be boosted too?  It is very, very, very slow for even simple workflows that nest only 2-3 levels deep with 10-15 items.  I have a hard time explaining to people using the designer that when opening a workflow they should go get a cup of coffee while it loads; and that they have to use Flowcharts as much as possible to avoid rendering things on the screen.

Thanks again,
    John 

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:31 PM
  • It seems strange that a WPF fix would apply only in VS.  After all our designer uses the same WPF assemblies regardless of where it is run.  I suppose it depends on the nature of the WPF fix.

Your experience with rehosted designer seems unusual.  I have not seen the kind of performance problems you are having with the rehosted designer.  Could we hook up a screen sharing session so you can show me?

Sr. Program Manager, Windows Azure Platform Team(WF) http://blogs.msdn.com/rjacobs http://www.twitter.com/ronljacobs
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:00 PM
  • Would love to.  Please contact me at [JHennesey[[at]goTropics{dot}com]].

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:08 PM
  • Ron -

I went back to the basics and started with a fresh rehosted solution - the same one I used as the base for my project - it turns out the patch did indeed fix the slowness.  It looks like it is unique to my project - maybe I have too much going on in the screen (it is fancy - has lots of visual stuff - panels, windows, etc. to mimic the VS experience).  I will have to whittle it down to find out where the performance suck is.  Thank you for humoring me.

John

* Update.  Graphics card - or lack thereof in all but 1 of the machines I have been testing this in.  If anybody ever has any issues with performance in a rehosted make sure they have applied the patch and have a decent video card.  Found one that has 4.9 and it cut down the time to load.

** Update #2 (sorry for so many updates, but if helps the next guy it is worth it) - The video card helped, but the real silver bullet was either google desktop and windows search service.  I modified the index and unistalled, and the the rehosted designer flies now.

• Marked as answer by John Hennesey Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:18 PM
    • Edited by John Hennesey Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:47 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:18 PM