developed School ERP software using webforms or mvc RRS feed

• Question

• User-471420332 posted

We are start-up company plan for developing ERP software for school. So I am .net developer having 8 years experience using asp.net Web forms and asp.net mvc5 (code first approach). But my problem is choosing technology asp.net Web forms or mvc. In asp.net webforms having 7 years of experience and 1 years mvc. I am good and familer with webforms. Is it good to develop ERP software using webforms.

We are 3 partners one is designer , me .net developer and another is into marketing

They assigned me admission module so I have to start individually. My partners told manage individual single person this ERP software.

Thursday, December 24, 2020 9:33 PM

All replies

• User1535942433 posted

Hi mazhar khan india,

As far as I think, ERP software are complex and it take a great deal of work to complete.C# and .Net both are good platform.You could consider firstly a web app. 

Since ERP would be very complicated and hard to maintain. I think you could use less code as where as you can. To do that you need to introduce a third party tool set. And also I prefer Webforms rather MVC.

You could also have a look at existing open source projects such as https://mixerp.org/erp/

Best regards,

Yijing Sun

Friday, December 25, 2020 7:14 AM
  • User-471420332 posted

As you told to use webforms? Reason. MCV have seperation logic, lightweight code and open source. I am not arguing just need clarification

Friday, December 25, 2020 12:10 PM
  • User475983607 posted

mazhar khan india

As you told to use webforms? Reason. MCV have seperation logic, lightweight code and open source. I am not arguing just need clarification

Web Forms and MVC are UI frameworks which are only a very small part of true ERP system.  Keep in mind, Web Forms is retired.  I would cross Web Forms off the list for any new development.  The latest UI framework is .Net 5 and Razor Pages.   I recommend going with Razor Pages for the UI bits of the ERP system. 

Friday, December 25, 2020 12:31 PM
  • User-471420332 posted

As my knowledge support has been stop for webforms. But how are you saying retired every  new version visual studio have option to create webforms.

If it is off means why they are allowing to create webforms website in every new version of visual studio like 2019.

I know angular also but choosing .net webforms are mature framework and also I have 7 years of on the same.

But you are saying mvc and yij sun saying webforms again it's confusion stage. 

Friday, December 25, 2020 1:22 PM
  • User475983607 posted

Let me explain this another way...  You are a painter with 7 years of experience and are asking what paint to use to build a house.  Clearly the walls must exist before paint can be applied.  Typically painting is the last steps in building a house and the customer tells you what colors to use.

The same idea applies to an an ERP system.  You are asking how to build a user interface to an ERP system which means the ERP system must exist.  The ERP system users or business owners should provide the user interface specifications. 

If the ERP system does not exist and you are responsible for building the ERP system then your approach is not going to work for a true ERP system.  

Friday, December 25, 2020 1:54 PM
  • User-471420332 posted

Can you tell me what technology is required for developing ERP software one is mvc as you told this is for UI interaction.

I know c#, SQL server, wep api, angular, mvc, webforms,web service, html, javascript,jQuery,boostrap

They told me to handled individual. Let it will take time we have completed one module

Friday, December 25, 2020 2:41 PM
  • User475983607 posted

mazhar khan india

Can you tell me what technology is required for developing ERP software one is mvc as you told this is for UI interaction.

I know c#, SQL server, wep api, angular, mvc, webforms,web service, html, javascript,jQuery,boostrap

They told me to handled individual. Let it will take time we have completed one module

An ERP system is a large complex system that requires far more than MVC or C#.  The fact that you are asking this question on a support forum indicates you do not have the skillset and should hire someone to help you.  

Friday, December 25, 2020 7:01 PM
  • User379720387 posted

Any framework will do.

Some will take less effort to develop, some will have features that make it future proof for a longer timeframe.

WebForms is dead I believe, however you can still create a project in VS2019, to support existing efforts.

Start from scatch now you would take Blazor.

However, you would an enormous amount of time going with a solution that is ready now. You give up some flexibility to make it just like your or the customer wants it.

Saturday, December 26, 2020 5:30 PM