none
[E2010][EWS][C#] Throttling Policy, Exchange Impersonation and Delegate Access RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was wondering how does the Exchange 2010 throttling policy work with regards to a service application that doing processing on many mailboxes using Exchange Web Services?  Our C# service application can be configured to either use Exchange Impersonation or Delegate Access.  If I created a new throttling policy (via New-ThrottlingPolicy) and assigned it to our service account's mailbox (via Set-Mailbox -ThrottlingPolicy) would that be the policy that would take effect for all the processing our service application performed?  Or would the throttling policy on a given mailbox take effect when our application accesses that mailbox (either via Exchange Impersonation or Delegate Access)?

We believe our service application is running into throttling policy limits and I was wondering what is the best approach to increase the limits just for our service application?  I'd prefer not to make changes to the default throttling policy.

Thanks,
    Greg

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 6:12 PM

Answers

• When Exchange impersonation is used the budgets for all the throttling thresholds apply to the account that is doing the impersonation (the service account) not the mailbox being impersonated.

If you are getting throttled you might want to check the CPU usage on the CAS server an overstressed CAS server will throttle connections as well I'd also check you IIS logs http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/08/27/3410837.aspx to determine whats happening and if any changes you make are effective.

Cheers

Glen

• Marked as answer by gkriggs Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:06 AM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 2:47 AM
  • Yes I believe the same holds true for delegates the budget is always charged to the calling security context not the Mailbox your accessing.

Cheers
    Glen

• Edited by Glen ScalesMVP Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:46 AM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:46 AM

All replies

• When Exchange impersonation is used the budgets for all the throttling thresholds apply to the account that is doing the impersonation (the service account) not the mailbox being impersonated.

If you are getting throttled you might want to check the CPU usage on the CAS server an overstressed CAS server will throttle connections as well I'd also check you IIS logs http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/08/27/3410837.aspx to determine whats happening and if any changes you make are effective.

Cheers

Glen

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 2:47 AM
  • Glen, thanks for the reply.  Any ideas if the same is true when using Delegate Access?

Thanks,

Greg

Thursday, November 10, 2011 12:21 AM
  • Yes I believe the same holds true for delegates the budget is always charged to the calling security context not the Mailbox your accessing.

Cheers
    Glen

• Edited by Glen ScalesMVP Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:46 AM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:46 AM